Hello from a POM in Oz

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by brixnmorta, Nov 7, 2011.

1. brixnmorta

brixnmorta New Member

Hi All,

I have recently joined the forum after returning back to the UK and seeing first hand the dire economic situation there and being advised by a close friend to "get into physical".

I have also just finished listening to Mike Maloney's book on Gold & Silver and have to admit that after spending a lot of time on the net trying to find a contrarian view to his contrarian view and although there were a couple of articles they did not have the weight to make me believe there is any other option than PMs at this stage.

Oh, and the name comes from a conversation with my Mother who many years ago advised me to "invest in bricks and mortar", although she whole heartedly agrees with my new direction.

My only issue now is where I get to store this stuff in Sydney as I am guessing there aren't many landlords around here who will let me chop a safe into the wall.... any advice as to previous posts (which I cannot currently find) on this subject would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Brix.

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome Brix. Very wise choice.

3. Len82

Len82 Member

welcome Brix

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome brixnmorta

Gold and Silver are the only 'bricks and mortar' left !

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome from another brit living in Australia.

If space and storgae is going to be an issue just go for solid gold, takes up less space, you can always sellotape it to your body.

Can't help you as I am a home owner and I have the safe bolted to the floor. No point getting the stuff if you can't keep hold of it.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Welcome brix, I don't know of any secure private storage in sydney - you may be better off going with an allocated storage option from a major supplier or storing in melbourne or brisbane, at the private vaults there. Other members may know of a private vault in sydney similar to guardian (melb) or the reserve (bris).

Definitely though don't store all your stuff in one location. Depending on your neighbourhood, have some at home, some allocated (eg Perth Mint, BullionMark, don't know if Goldstackers do long term) and some OS.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello from a Pom in Scotland. :D

Welcome to the forum, Brix. :)

8. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

hi from a son of a pom in brisbane, I would recommend getting in touch with ossie or ozbullion both sponsors of this website and dealers in Sydaney

9. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Hi :p

ABC Sydney offers allocated storage.
    Never heard any negatives about their service, but haven't used them myself.

Also, you wouldn't want to tell your landlord you're installing a safe.
    That's giving away that you'll have valuables stored at home ;)

It's best just to hide things in strange places around your room and put in some token cash for the taking.
    e.g. Leave a few hundred bucks with a fake receipt held by a paper clip on your desk.

10. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Gidday Brix,
    A south sea's Pom hear.

11. brixnmorta

brixnmorta New Member

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, and for the pointers and advice on storage..... much appreciated.

Brix.

12. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Welcome in from a fellow pom in Brissy - there's a few of us expats escaped the decline here!

Mate, I'd recommend asking around at the Sydney meets - Roo, Aurora et Luna, Yennus and OzBullion are some of your local dealers who may be able to offer some advice on storage - but still - speak with some of the Sydney members.

Check out the Meets and Events subforum for more info - plus check out the Monthly SydneyStackers Meets thread in Aurora et Luna's trading subforum.

Your lucky down there bud, you've heaps of dealers - Brissy aint got too much! :D