Has low balling reached end game, or is it just a case of no buyers?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by swoydaz, Feb 28, 2014.

1. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ultrasound does not prove the purity or metal type, all this proves is that it's solid and not tungsten filled, you will need to get it xrf tested to prove metal type and purity.

2. nickybaby

nickybaby Active Member Silver Stacker

I know i'm buying (just last week i bought a couple of kilos and 1.6 oz Au) but i will be honest iv'e stopped buying on here for a few reasons.

I do not find much difference on price between here and other bullion dealers. Some of what is sold on here I find either too expensive or does not meet my stacking requirements.

I'm tired of the "in your face' selling that goes on here. The constant bumping and comments such as " right this is going back in the locker" or "how how this not sold yet" type comments on sales threads. Makes the seller look desperate imo. Finally the one that annoys me the most and stops me from buying , which is my personal favourite the EOI. Which I now translate as the I want to sell this for a huge profit but won't commit just because I might not get the huge profit I want. TBH i've stopped even looking at a sales thread with an EOI on it.

Finally I find some peoples sales threads far to aggressive. Im selling this bar/coin/round for $xxx and my price is firm. I'm glad you say that as my silence is me firmly not buying said product.

Try putting up generic bullion at 0-5% of spot and see if it flees out the door.

3. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can you please list the source of this information.

Cheers.

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with some of your comments, but not neceselery the angst you feel, many of the agreeable trades go on behind the scenes in a very civilised manner. The Sydney set, especially at the weekly meet, tend to trade at sub SS prices. Similarly, the buyers don't try to lowball the seller.

5. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

I have been insulted with some horribly low offers recently. I mean, if you don't want to trade with me, just don't bother send me a PM. Do people realy think they can do a deal for 30% of the value of what I am offering? Do I realy come across on this forum as dumb enough to go for that? lol

I loose a lot of respect for people like that, and will certainly not trade with these people in the future on matter of principle, even if their deals do become more reasonable. So at the end of they day they are just loosing potential future trades.

Seems a bit stupid to me! :/

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

anyone who approaches me with the offer for 1 oz 2014 kook lower than $55/oz will insult me and I will not trade with such person ever.
    it seems stupid to me to expect offers no one willing to make :lol:

is it difficult to state the highest price and then let people make offers?

7. swoydaz

Thanks to all who've contributed to this post so far.

My questions have in part been answered.

But more importantly I've gained more insight into a world in which I am still a very raw novice.

8. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

with 156 trades???
    you are the most humble person in SS! )))

9. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

I agree totally. But I think if you are the type of person to offer under $500 for something worth over $1300 then you are taking the piss, basically. I won't do business with you.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. swoydaz

Still waiting for source to support the above statement ss77 :)

12. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

GP did some test & videoed it a few years ago when they first opened the shop , don't know if the post is still around
    XRF gets best results

13. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

XRF testing shows you on a computer what the make up of a alloy is in %. that is how it tells you how pure your gold is, so the gold coin would say on a screen
    95% Au
    5% Cu or Ni or whatever..
    how does an ultrasound scanner tell you the purity of a metal?

14. swoydaz

To what depth does XRF penetrate?

To what depth does ultrasound penetrate?

Is it true that XRF is excellent for accurately confirming surface level and just below surface level content?

Whereas u/s is able to test through greater thicknesses and show if variation in material thickness occurs?

I believe u/s is also able to determine accurately the nature of materials where the u/s frequency is known?

15. swoydaz

I believe the following is accurate, but always welcome further enlightenment.

Ultrasound relies on knowing the frequency at which sound travels through the medium.

In the case of fine silver it's 3600 metres per second.

Gold is 3240 metres/sec.

By scanning many points of the object you will see consistent or inconsistent results.

Consistent results can only mean the material being scanned is the same material throughout.

Inconsistent result suggest all is not well.

16. nickybaby

nickybaby Active Member Silver Stacker

Xef stands for X-ray fluorescence. Basically you fire x rays at the surface and they bounce of. When they bounce off the atoms on the outside of the bar interact with them. This interaction is specific to each type of metal atom. If you count the changed X-rays that bounce off you can tell what type of atoms and also how many their are of them.

When I last studied and used an xrf machine I could only reliably tell you what the top five atom layers were. That's aproximatly one thousand millionth of a meter thick.

The ultrasound tells you if something is completely uniform in composition ( uniform density). If you can tell its pure gold on the outside ( xrf) and uniform in composition ( ultrasound) and mayby check the density you probably have pure gold.

Hope this helps

17. swoydaz

I was hoping someone would come up with something like this which combines the info I've given to make a thoroughly good testing routine.

Hoping this is informative for all.