Guide to buying silver in Australia (resurrected)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by goldpelican, Feb 20, 2010.

1. hihosilveraway

hihosilveraway New Member

I have seen a lot of whining against the Perth Mint on internet forums, but I personally love the quality and creativity in the kooks and lunars. I also love all the kangaroo carded coins issued by the Royal Australian Mint. I collect 1 and 2 ounce kooks, and any kind of kangaroo. They are all called "semi-numismatic" although I can't see why they are somehow less collectible than American coins. I am glad some mints bother to change the design on their coins every year. Will I see a return on investment? The 2-ounce kooks have gone up from $60-75 in 2012 to around $125 today on ebay.

2. pineappleguy

pineappleguy New Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to this whole idea of investing in Silver and I haven't made any purchases yet, as I have only started looking into buying Silver/Gold (literally this weekend).

Whilst I personally don't believe hyperinflation or any of the financial "doomsday" scenarios will occur, I am a strong believer in diversifying your investments.

I'm based in Sydney, Australia and would appreciate any advice or recommendations on who to buy from (dealer experiences) and what sizes people tend to buy (1oz or per kg?). I've found a lot of research on why people believe that silver is a good/bad investment but am having trouble finding dealer recommendations and what to buy.

As I will be purchasing Silver purely for long term investment, it would be great if you guys could help me answer some of the following questions that I am struggling to find answers to:

Would I be better off buying little 1oz bars or buy a kilograms at a time?

Is there any particular advantage in buying PAMP Silver/Gold?

Is there any point in buying minted silver over cast?

Thanks in advance!

3. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

1oz coins, 10oz bars and 1kg bars are the most popular. I would mix it up. PAMP are well trusted, but some of their items are too high priced for serious stacking in my opinion. The 1oz and 10oz for example. The 1kg bars though are more reasonable. Minted or Cast doesnt really matter.

4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham New Member

Guys I've been buying silver from the normal bullion places in Sydney CBD for a while but they all charge between 5-6% over spot price when you buy then hit you up with 5-8% sell spread again on the buy back price (this is a buy sell spread between 10-14% which way too high compared to Gold which only has about 2% mark up over spot mark up on the buy price for example).
    Anyhoo long story short I'm happy to buy silver (bullion only not jewellery ect) at spot price from people in Sydney so we can meet up and get it tested somewhere then see if we're happy to transact.

I'm not a business just a guy that doesn't that doesn't like getting taken for 10-14% so if you feel the same give me a yell.
    PS If there's a better thread for this type of topic let me know.

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    How do you think they make $ ?
    Manufacturing costs & all that
    Do some more reading

6. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Richie you will find it hard to get people to sell you most size silver bullion at spot price. Check out the sales threads here, find someone willing to do f2f in the city and away you go. If its a trusted seller on this site, I dare say you might not necessarily need to get it all tested either.

7. balandadale

balandadale New Member

Need to keep this thread going as the current situation is most interesting. Keep that information flowing guys.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member Silver Stacker

Damn thieves!

Who the hell do they think they are, wanting to put food on the table and pay the rent....

9. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

If it's 5-8% premium for perth mint or other name brand bars that's pretty reasonable. Little low on the buy side but I'm sure you have PLENTY of places to sell to in Sydney. I really doubt you'll find much non scrap at spot and if you do I'm sure you could turn it around for a quick profit here at spot plus one or two.

10. Truth Warrior

Truth Warrior New Member

Thanks for a useful article.

11. Liquid

Liquid New Member

Thanks for the info

12. warrenbuffett

warrenbuffett New Member

Hi all, I just came across this and it is all very useful especially to a newbie like me! Thanks :D

13. HugeMetalFan

HugeMetalFan Member

This is such an awesome post!
    thank you

14. McSilver

McSilver New Member

Hi all, new to the site and the silver stacking community in general. Lots of great info on this thread, i was wondering if anyone can direct to me to the best beginners threads?

15. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. McSilver

McSilver New Member

Thanks Whinfell, I am also new to the forum scene in general so apologies in advance!

17. Rabbit

Rabbit New Member

That's great advice thank you very much. Now to hopefully use all this info and start stacking :)

18. gabeyk

gabeyk New Member

very informative.What are your views on 5 gram bars.I realise that there is a higher premium paid,was just wondering about liquidity.

19. agstasher

agstasher New Member

Awesome, priceless information. thanks... The poor AU$, postage/shipping costs must also be kept in mind. I'm always asking the question... should I buy local to acquire those extra few ounces or waste money on postage? Probably the difference between a collector and a stacker...

20. Jrandom

Jrandom New Member

Is this info still valid in late 2015? Especially about the pre-66 coinage. In the States, something happened to the pre-65 coins, and they have gained quiet a premium. I am planning on coming back for a while and though about stacking again (with pre-66 on my mind).

Also, how does the Perth Mint silver bullion kangaroo fit into the equation? Equal to ASE and Maples?