GSR swaps !?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by THUCYDIDES79, May 12, 2011.

1. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I believe that between 10% - 50% of silver holders on this forum are waiting for SILVER spot to reach $40 oz so that they can perform GSR swaps with at least 20% of their silver stack!

i know i am.
    :)

2. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

..... and people holding gold are waiting for silver to tank to take advantage of a high GSR swap, currently 44.40. :)

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

depends what gold is? as it is the ratio that is targeted not price of silver... 32.15 anyone :)

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Price of silver is irrelevant - it's the GSR that matters.

5. THUCYDIDES79

...buy silver so that you can swap it into gold, hold gold so that you can swap it back into silver...

*** keep repeating ***

[​IMG]
    source :http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.paulwrightjewellery.com/images/categories/yin-yang-pendant.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.paulwrightjewellery.com/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dindex%26cPath%3D23&usg=__SFhcaiPZoAkFyjm39a2hQFRszPs=&h=250&w=250&sz=37&hl=en&start=32&sig2=UTSiKZLw7yRydXG4bKjR7A&zoom=1&tbnid=OxyGoSuK2ttN7M:&tbnh=140&tbnw=132&ei=SurLTc-rM4K2sAP2q7njBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyin%2Byang%2Bgold%2Bsilver%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1473%26bih%3D762%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch0%2C800&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=494&page=2&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:32&tx=73&ty=94&biw=1473&bih=762

6. phillis

phillis Member

who does silver/gold swaps? is it just a matter of finding someone (ie, on here) that wants to swap or do actual brokers do it?

7. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Usually easy to find someone on here. I can't imagine a retail bullion store would entertain the idea.

Sometimes you'll get the actual GSR, that is if you find someone who wants to go the opposite way.

Sometimes, I will swap opposite to my desired direction if the swap ratio is above or below the GSR in a direction that grows my total silver value. I guess thats a "spread" ?

8. THUCYDIDES79

Well,

Transaction wise, it seems that 90% + of all volume on the forum is a straight purchase of precious metals but every once in a while someone
    will post the silver and ask for a gold coin in return or vice versa.

If you have silver and want to swap for gold you can do it in 2 ways.

current GSR is 43 ( rounded ) and lets say you want to get a half sovereign ( 0.1177 oz agw )
    so 0.1177 x 43 = 5.06 oz of silver

so you could list 5 Kooks for the half sov and maybe the holder of the half sov would be willing to swap for it
    or 16 1966 50 Cent pieces.

If you cant get a straight swap, you sell 5.06 ( or 4.85 - 6 oz of silver depending on what type silver it is , premiums and stuff )
    and with the fiat that you have you go back into the market and buy a half sov.

It would be foolish and shallow if one only held silver in their precious metals portfolio, or only gold , or any other prec metal by itself

Ideally you would want to be tracking the following ratios

Silver to Gold
    Silver to Platinum
    Silver to Palladium

and depending where they are going you perform swaps and diversify -

but on a fortnite to fortnite basis ( if you are paid fortnitly ) you only keep buying silver ( as its most accessible )

9. phillis

phillis Member

...and this is why I love this place :)