Gridseed Asics vs GPU Scrypt Mining

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by yennus, Apr 22, 2014.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been experimenting with a 4x 280x Radeon Scrypt Mining rig, which should hopefully pay itself of within a year...

But I've been looking at the Gridseed Asics too - which on paper look like they are much cheaper (just 7W) and cooler to run.

Anyone had experience with both/either?

Are Gridseed Asics the next big thing in Scrypt mining?

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They have come down to a price now where You could consider them @ $160USD a unit inc accessories to get them going vs a GPU based rig. ( it only took their price to halve) If they were this price 4 months ago.

However even at that price TODAY I would not be touching them now.

Say you buy 10 ( seems to be the average amount ) It will cost you approx $1800 AUD delivered which will get you 3.2MH/s

Now if you are mining Dog Coin ( most profitable mainstream scrypt coin ATM) you will be making about $11 AUD a day

it will take at current prices 163 days to break even and that is at current prices which have only just recovered slightly from the previous lows.

by the time you even break even on this purchase the proper ASIC miners will be out there ( 250MH+ units) making these useless expensive paper weights. With these unlike GPU's wont have another purpose so you wont beale to re sell them, and you cany use them with scrypt-n

Even in the last 2 months the NEW sale price on these have halved.

if you are going to buy something today pre order a KNC / aplha-t miner or hold onto your GPU rig and switch to mining scrypt-n

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks heaps Court Jester, your thoughts are much appreciated.

I suppose the option to re-sell the GPUs at a later date are a big advantage of the GPUs over ASICs.

Though the electricity saved on the ASICs are their big advantage.

4. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes the current ASICs (gridseed) are not worth the money, save and buy the next gen proper ASICS early adopters here will reap big rewards.