Greenspan on Fed and Gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by JulieW, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Greenspan: "The Gold standard is not possible in a welfare state"
    The U.S. provides more welfare benefits nowadays than a decade ago, or back when a gold standard was in place. Greenspan did not explicitly say that the U.S. is a welfare state. However, it's my interpretation that the sort of government he described was building up liabilities "entitlements" that can be very expensive. Similar challenges can arise when a lot of money is spent on other programs, such as military expenditures.

It boils down to the problem that a government in debt has an incentive to debase the value of its debt through currency devaluation or otherwise.

As such, it should not be shocking to learn that a gold standard is not compatible with such a world. But during the course of Greenspan's comments, it became obvious that there was a much more profound implication.

Who finances social programs?

Marc Faber, who was also on the panel, expressed his view, and displeasure, that the Fed has been financing social programs. The comment earned Faber applause from the audience, but Greenspan shrugged off the criticism, saying: "you have it backwards."

Greenspan argued that it's the fiscal side that's to blame. The Fed merely reacts. Doubling down on the notion, when asked how a 25-fold increase in the Consumer Price Index or a 60-fold increase in the price of gold since the inception of the Fed can be considered a success, he said the Fed does what Congress requires of it. He lamented that Fed policies are dictated by culture rather than economics.

So doesn't this jeopardize the Fed's independence? Independence of a central bank is important, for example, so that there isn't reckless financing of government deficits.

Greenspan: "I never said the central bank is independent!"

I could not believe my ears. I have had off the record conversations with Fed officials that have made me realize that they don't touch upon certain subjects in public debate not because they are wrong but because they would push the debate in a direction that would make it more difficult to conduct future policy. But I have never, ever, heard a Fed Chair be so blunt.

The maestro says the Fed merely does what it is mandated to do, merely playing along. If something doesn't go right, it's not the Fed's fault. That credit bubble? Well, that was due to Fannie and Freddie (the government sponsored entities) disobeying some basic principles, not the Fed.

And what about QE? He made the following comments on the subject:

Greenspan: "The Fed's balance sheet is a pile of tinder, but it hasn't been lit inflation will eventually have to rise."

But fear not because he assured us:

Greenspan: "They (FOMC members) are very smart"

Trouble is, if no one has noticed, central bankers are always the smart ones. But being smart has not stopped them from making bad decisions in the past. Central bankers in the Weimar Republic were the smartest of their time. The Reichsbank members thought printing money to finance a war was 'exogenous' to the economy and wouldn't be inflationary. Luckily we have learned from our mistakes and are so much smarter these days. Except, of course, as Greenspan points out it's the politics that ultimately dictate what's going to happen, not the intelligence of central bankers. And even if some concede central bankers may have above average IQs, not everyone is quite so sanguine about politicians.

Now if they are so smart, the following question were warranted and asked:

Q: Why do central banks (still) own gold?
    Greenspan: "This is a fascinating question."

He did not answer the question, but he did point out: "Gold has always been accepted without reference to any other guarantee."

While Greenspan did not want to comment on current policy, he was willing to give a forecast on the price of gold, at least in a Greenspanesque way.

Greenspan: Price of Gold will rise
    Q: "Where will the price of gold be in 5 years?"
    Greenspan: "Higher."
    Q: "How much?"
    Greenspan: "Measurably"

http://www.merkinvestments.com/insi...campaign=2014-10-29-Insights&utm_medium=email

2. JulieW

So that's a relief!

:)

3. JulieW

Draghi:

the Bank of Italy, has this to say:

"Well you're also asking this to the former Governor of the Bank of Italy, and the Bank of Italy is the fourth largest owner of gold reserves in the world, which is out of all proportion to the size of the country. But I never thought it wise to sell it, because for central banks this is a reserve of safety, it's viewed by the country as such."

"In the case of non-dollar countries it gives you a value-protection against fluctuations against the dollar, so there are several reasons, risk diversification and so on."