Great Balls of Odin! How do we choose which coin to buy?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Altima, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Luker

Luker Member

3. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Don't quite $200 like it though

4. seXes

seXes Member

For the relif, I guess the choise coin. But I like the design of Thor from the Norse series.

5. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

Received a mailer from Maquarie Mint today for the Cook Islands Norse Gods collection (http://www.macquariemint.com/odin). They are selling the coins for $199 each with free postage and handling on the first and $9 on the additional ones. They're being released once a month and looks like it will be a 9 coin series. From the brochure they sent out, looks like the Gods they'll be producing include: Odin, Thor, Tyr, Loki, Hel, Helmball(sp?), Frigg, and 3 others that I couldn't see on the picture.

For whatever reason, this version just isn't grabbing me. I think I'll be sticking with the Legends of Asgard version of the Norse gods.

ETA: Macquarie Mint notes that there are going to be 999 coins in the series and they have exclusive rights to distribute 200 collections in Australia.

6. Nils

Nils New Member

Helmball = Heimdal

7. Luker

Luker Member

8. o-to

o-to Member

@ Luker, none of your links are working.

9. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I caught the video yesterday when it was still up. (Why did they take it down??)

Basically a side-by-side comparison between the 3-oz max-relief, and the 2-oz Cook Islands Odin & Thor.

Maybe it might have made a small difference if the video quality & close-ups were there, but in my eyes, the Cook Islands got smoked by the Choice Mint 3-oz'er.

Anyway, perhaps the guy is re-shooting the vid for quality purposes..

10. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

One issue with all the odins....historically there was never any shit on his helmet. No wings. No horns.

It would be good to see someone do a series based on historic designs. That would be interesting.

11. Nils

Nils New Member

That and the misspelling of TOR. It is TOR not THOR

12. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

In case you haven't liked any of the other 20 versions of Odin released in the past year, Perth Mint's 2 oz, silver high relief antiqued version of Odin will be released March 1st.

13. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is reason enough for me not to get too excited about any series. It is ridiculous how many of these things are out there. Wonder if all these folks called each other. Lol.

14. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

I can give the first 3 a bit of a pass. Presumably they all started development in secret around the same time and were probably too far down the line to drop the project when they found out about the other projects. I'm not really sure what Perth Mint's excuse is, they could have just looked online and see all the other coins that have been out for several months now.

Theoretically, wouldn't it have been a smarter move for Perth Mint to go oh crap, everyone else is making Norse gods coins, lets be different and create Roman Gods coins and suggest that they are going linearly in time and they might get to Norse gods in a few years, but they need to do the Egyptian gods, etc. first.

15. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, makes zero sense to me. If I'm db and others, I'd be po'd. Like, give it a rest already. I still think that db's is the best of all of them, but I have a bias toward mega relief coins. lol. I just don't know what the long term viability is of having 11 of these things in a series. I think it should have been a smaller series out the gate. Maybe when they show the 2nd in the series, it will help sales of the 1st? All I know is I see a lot of the Asgard on eBay.

16. db23

db23 Member

I can't fault Perth Mint for releasing their own Norse series, if they think they can do a better job than what's already out there - why not? One problem though is that some of their KEY main distributors are already pushing their own Norse series.

We're quite happy with how our series has been received and Valkyrie is right around the corner now.

17. Nils

Nils New Member

Any pictures out on the Perth norse coin?

18. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

It's currently under strict embargo. It is a good looker in my view however and I think collectors of previous series will love it. I do think Norse Gods were an ill advised subject matter while the market is so full of great designs, and believe releasing an Odin coin 2 or 3 years further down the line would've been better for them. I'd have gone with the Aztec or Incan gods, something rarely struck on a coin and with some striking imagery.
    Mik