Grading: wear and scratches on coins

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by nutshell, Sep 23, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

That you hate the fact that I call boneheads out on their bullshit is your deficit alone. That you are the one that hates it means that you need to change yourself.

And I'm still waiting for anyone to refute the fact-based points that I have posited....all I hear from the peanut gallery is crickets.

2. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

I have received some good feedback to my query and I thanks those who replied, however, as a new person to this list I am also a bit taken aback by the animosity displayed by several people. I am a bit of a hacker and belong to several Linux related forums and the vitriol displayed here would not be tolerated and indeed usually other forum members make this clear before a moderator steps in, but eventually a moderator would. By the way are there moderators on this forum? Maybe if there is he/she could just close this thread so there's no more posts. Not much constructive going on anymore. If anyone has a personal agenda perhaps it should be moved to PM,s

3. JEM

JEM New Member

So Mint State is not the same for different mint's coins, different time periods of minting technology and different metals coins are minted from? If one mint makes a poorer quality coin and another mint makes high quality coin both are still a ms70 respectively? Makes sense to me.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Reputable TPG's take ALL visible imperfections into consideration whether the imperfection is possibly caused at the point of minting/production, or a hairline scratch whose origin is indeterminable, or milkspots that develop within days after the coin is initially released for sale, or any sort of wear.

One way to know that reputable TPG's don't give a grade pass to mints which normally produce certain lower quality coins is to look at 2 very recognized modern bullion coins; the U.S. 5 oz silver ATB bu coins and silver Canadian Maple Leafs (the bullion version). These coins rarely if ever get a 70 grade. If it were true that TPG's gave a grade pass because they recognize these coins are produced with less than stellar production quality, we'd see many (a significant percentage) of these coins get a 70 grade....but we don't, we see just the opposite.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just a semi-friendly butting of heads... it will calm down and yes there are moderators in the forum but I've seen much worse in other forums. Your other linux forums must be very tame lol. :D