Grading question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Genghicat, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Genghicat

Genghicat Active Member

I found this little piece (1911 sixpence) in among my stash and was really impressed with the amount of detail it had after 106 years. It got me to wondering what sort of "grade" it would rate at and how the general level of "black" on it would affect the coin's value.

Does anyone have any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that I'm not after a "proper"/full grade for the coin, just an idea of what others think and some pointers as to what I should be looking at when looking at coins.

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Looks quite worn to me....just my opinion.

I put coins that look like that in my junk silver box. That said, it doesn't mean that it's worth merely spot, just that to me I would categorize it as such. But if it is a key date, then it could have added collector value.

3. Genghicat

Genghicat Active Member

So it is actually quite worn then. Wasn't actually sure as I've never done much in the way of coin grading.

Thanks for the info. :)

4. RichardAL

RichardAL Active Member Silver Stacker

ANDA produced a pamphlet that outlines features to consider in giving a coin a grade - from memory it applied to florins but is useful for coins like your 1911 sixpence.

PCGS have produced a useful series of videos that goes through the considerations they mull over when grading coins.

Your 1911 sixpence is arguably worth more than its bullion value, even though it's showing a lot of wear - it's probably in the "Very Good" (insert new SS sarcasm smiley here) category.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I have some old silver US coins from the 19th and 20th centuries that are in similar condition to your coin Genghicat....I treat them as junk silver. That's just me.

Arguably, there could be someone willing to pay a collector premium for your coin but the only way you'd know is if you put your coin out in the marketplace and see if someone will do that.

6. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Genghicat do yourself a favour and contact people who know something about coin grading. It is also worth looking through the video series on PCGS grading tutorials all on youtube. They are superb. Another bit of advice is take better pictures. Its very hard to judge quality on pictures and you need the best quality images. One of the best opinions in Australia is Nehoc on this site. Send him a PM. Recently, I saw a sixpence (1918) that was sold as VF by a well know Australian dealer. It was sent it to PCGS and graded as MS64. Assessing grade on older coins is a skill that is hard to master and takes time and experience.

PS. I found the PCGS reference number - 81725556 Look it up on PCGS and it has a picture for reference.