Gold Maple Leaf - copper spot?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Cimexus, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Hi all,

Was checking my coins today and was unhappy to find what appears to be a copper spot on a 2013 Gold Maple Leaf. This appears to have spontaneously developed quite recently as it definitely wasn't like that a couple of months ago.

Here's the coin as of today - note the 'rust coloured' spot on the upper part of the leaf.

[​IMG]

And here is the same coin when I bought it, approximately 10 months ago - no spot!

[​IMG]

Is this normal for a 9999 gold coin? Does it affect the value? Is there any easy way to remove the spot?

The coin itself was bought over the counter from a dealer in Sydney CBD in March 2013 and has been kept in cool, dry and dark conditions. Stored in the same place are some American Gold Eagles, Perth Mint Roos and Perth Mint bars of various sizes, none of which have developed any spots.

I swear, if it's not the milk spots on the silver, it's this on the gold. I know the coin is not numismatic but still, given the choice I think I'll stay away from RCM stuff in the future... :/

2. Byron

Byron Guest

It can happen. I've got a libertad that developed copper spots after it was purchased. IMO it detracts from the looks of a coin, as for value, maybe not much as ours are bullion coins, however it may deter some potential buyers. Others don't care.

However if given the choice I'd rather have a blemish free one.

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Ain't that what happens to Maple leaves in Autumn? Soon should all be a golden brown :p j/k

Had a 1kg dragon with a copper spot like that... Perthmint replaced it for me

4. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Hmm.

Well I'm on the other side of the world from where I bought it from, but I may be back in Sydney later this year so perhaps I should go back to the dealer and see if he'll swap it out for me.

5. Director

Director Member

How can solid gold get a copper spot?

6. Byron

Byron Guest

Impurities during the casting process, I believe.

7. Golden

Golden Member

8. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

According the experts copper spot shouldn't affect even the numismatic coin vale, but because some newer collectors given the choice rather have a blemish free one 10% discount is acceptable, but on bullion coins frankly who cares. Matter of fact you can be even more certain it is real gold and not a fake.