Gold is back

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Peter, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

2. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Funny choice of title, but I see why they choose it... for shock value. It's not as if gold ever "went away", it just drags and does nothing for extended periods of time... then periodically corrects for inflation of the currencies it is measured against.

This was a decent article for CNN, but I think the trend of increased central bank gold buying would need to continue for awhile and stocks would have to struggle significantly before we see any substantial rise in gold (and maybe silver) pricing. All they really did here is cherry pick 3 or 4 statistics to get attention.

Besides, even if it becomes a serious increase in spot prices, contrary to what bullion sites would like you to believe, it's not as if you need to jump and buy quickly in these scenerios. You can usually wait until a fairly confirmed gold price rise and/or stock markets recession is upon us, then start buying metals... and make out just fine. The saying that you usually don't want to be the first or the last guy doing something is generally wise.

3. VirviVR

VirviVR New Member

Yes, title is realy funny

4. whay

whay Well-Known Member

CNN = #1 Source for Fake News

5. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

From a much more credible financial source, Barron's:

In Bullish Shift, Investors Start Buying Gold ETFs
    Myra P. Saefong
    Nov. 9, 2018 12:45 p.m. EST

https://www.barrons.com/articles/gold-etfs-enjoy-renewed-inflows-1541785551?mod=hp_DAY_6

...I don't know if you guys will be able to read the article or not since some of their articles are free and some aren't (I subscribe to the Barron's newsletter so it shows up for me). If it doesn't show, it basically just says that GLD and other main gold ETFs have been buying more tons of gold in the last month due to recent trends of ETF shares being sold. It basically predicts steady gold prices or slightly increasing for the rest of the year.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018