gold fraction

Discussion in 'Gold' started by zenki, Nov 14, 2011.

1. zenki

zenki New Member

which gold bullion fraction is best for value/convertibility/liquidity? 1/4 oz? 1/2oz? 5 grams? better to buy bars or coins?
    any ideas? thanks

2. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

me thinks 1/10 or 1/4 depending on what you want to spend at the time.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is all down to the person you sell it to!

Some buyers may consider small coins over larger bars, some might not want to pay the extra money it costs to have the gold minted into coins.

Smaller coins have a largr premium but are more affordable!

If you can, try and get a mixture, if you just want to sell the gold back to the mint then just buy the lower premium bars, if you want to sell to collectors get the pretty limited edition coins and if you want to sell to stackers then just buy whatever you can at the best price.

Whatever you get you can't go wrong, unless the price of gold collapses, and then it wouldn't matter what you had (with the exception of numismatic coins which would hold their value)

4. zenki

zenki New Member

say i've enough for 5-10oz

5. 2ds

2ds New Member

last time I checked for value 1/4oz was the smallest you could go, premiums on 1/10 and 1/20 were too high.

I recently got a 2.5gm pamp bar which I liked (size wise)

6. puddleduck

puddleduck Member Silver Stacker

It was far easier for me to shift my 1oz gold bars and coins than my fractionals on SS for some weird reason. Maybe just buy the ounce bars. There are some around with low premiums and they shift pretty quickly.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well then mister money bags...

No need to spend it all in one place or at the same time, have you come across "dollar averaging"? if not it might be worth having a look at that before spending big.

Personally I would want to get some collectors coins and some smaller bars, a bit of diversity will help when it comes to selling.

Some people here will tell you that you will have no problem shifting a 10oz bar even if the price of gold doubles. As far as "bang for your buck" goes you could probably get a good deal for a bulk purchase like that.

You may find it harder to shift if gold is going sideways though, if gold is going up or down there will be a few buyers for large amounts.

If gold is not doing much then you will have more luck selling numismatic coins and collector coins.

I think by putting out a WTB for 10oz of gold on these forums will probably get you quite a bit of interest and a variety of offers, you don't have to take them of course but you will probably do better here than at a regular shop front dealer.

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

That is weird. I guess you just have to have something on offer that someone wants at the time. Would've thought fractionals would sell far quicker than 1 oz. zenki, just have a diverse stack.

9. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

If you are looking at fractionals I would go with 1/2oz. I buy 1/20 and 1/10 but only one of each lunar for purpose of completing typeset.

10. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Lucky you, but I saw an auction for a gold ABC bar that would not even move for spot.

11. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

I've been buying some 5g PM bars lately, they work out at a reasonable premium, they're pretty good as far as "fractional" goes (being a tad under 1/6th of an ounce).

12. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

I have a soft spot for fractionals.... 1/10 coins and also world gold coins like Francs, Sov's, half Sov's, Ducats etc

I try to make up 10z of each type as I go, so 1oz of Sov's, 1 of half sovs etc.

13. Wout

Wout New Member

go for a mix of 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz coins and bars and you cant go wrong, also consider sovereigns they are popular and a good size (0.2354 oz)

avoid high premium numismatics and stick to coins like eagles, maples, kruggerands, kangaroos etc

14. RCM

RCM New Member

If you are considering buying 10 oz of gold at one time, I would hope that whomever is selling it to you would consider some sort of discount over the spot premiums as that represents a nice one time sell. I would try very hard to agree on a number you are happy with before pulling the trigger.

I mention this b/c I think 50% 1 oz and 50% fractional would be a good split or some other combination you are comfortable with, but only if the premium for the fractional is fair. I also would go no lower than 2.5 gram bars. The 1 gram are very small and very easy to lose or bend. I just don't think it is worth the hassle if they are bought loose outside of the assay card.

Good luck.

15. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member