Gold and silver:Why you should buy.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Peter, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Quote from article

Good chart ,etc
    "The Difference Between Silver and Gold

Often people ask me if I hold goldandsilver as if it were one word. I do own both, but for almost entirely different reasons. Gold, to me, is a monetary substance. It has money-like qualities and it has been used as money by diverse cultures throughout history. I expect that to continue.

There is a chance, growing by the week, that gold will be remonetized on the international stage due to a failure of the current all-fiat regime. If or when the fiat regime fails, there will have to be some form of replacement, and the only one that we know works for sure is a gold standard. Therefore, a renewed gold standard has the best chance of being the 'new' system selected during the next bout of difficulties.

Silver is an industrial metal with a host of enviable and irreplaceable attributes. It is the most conductive metal known, and therefore it is widely used in the electronics industry. It is used to plate critical bearings in jet engines and as an antimicrobial additive to everything from wall paints to clothing fibers. In nearly all of these uses, plus a thousand others, it is used in such vanishingly small quantities that it is hardly worth recovering at the end of the product life cycle -- and often isn't.

Because of this dispersion effect, above-ground silver is actually at something of a historical low point. When silver was used primarily for monetary and ornamentation purposes, the amount of above-ground, refined silver grew with every passing year. After industrial uses cropped up, that trend reversed, and today there are perhaps 1 billion ounces above ground, when in 1980 there were roughly 4 billion ounces.

Because of this consumption dynamic, it's entirely possible that over the next twenty years not one single net new ounce of above ground silver will be added to inventories, while in contrast, a few billion ounces of gold will be added.

I hold gold as a monetary metal. I own silver because of its residual monetary qualities, but more importantly because I believe it will continue to be in demand for industrial uses for a very long time, and it will become a scarce and rare item."

Click on
    http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/screaming-fundamentals-owning-gold-and-silver/59850

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Good post mate.

It would have been better though if it mentioned that silver is also a monetary metal.

Simply repeating over and over that its purely an industrial metal will never make it so.

3. Trichter

Trichter Member

His opinion in this regard is in the last paragraph.

I own silver because of its residual monetary qualities, but more importantly because I believe it will continue to be in demand for industrial uses for a very long time, and it will become a scarce and rare item."

I like the view that the return of a monetary role for gold and silver may well depend significantly on where in the world you are located. Places where silver has historically been used as a primary means of exchange may well see silver gain importance again (e.g. Latin America), while places which prized mainly gold may see a resurgence primarily of gold as a means of trade. I think that's pretty sensible thinking.