Gilded Lunars Hot or Not

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Blockhead, May 27, 2011.

1. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

just trying to wrap my head around these things for the premium they issue at.

50,000 mintage, $100 per coin. Did any sell without the box and coa? i saw 2 rabbits yesterday, one with the full box and case and another one for ten bucks cheaper just in a plastic packet with a cardboard sleeve.

The gilded kooks are much lower mintage and would seem to be a much more astute purchase. You can still buy all of the series 2 gilded lunars direct from the Perth Mint store so they obviously haven't flying off the shelves nor have they maxed out mintage. The display cases are still in stock for $75, locking you into buying another 8 of these things at whatever price the Perth Mint comes up with in future.

are there any gilded lunar enthusiasts out there? please chime in and explain the appeal.

2. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

He says after taking my '05 kook the other night :D

3. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

hey i said the kooks were astute, i'm just trying to work out lunars at 50,000 mintage..

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

actually i'll raise the bar - gilded *KOALA* for $95.

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

My humble advice is to avoid the gilded Lunars. Their comparative resale values ie. comparing gilded versus other lunar types is a lot less.

You obviously want to buy the lunar type that appreciates the most in the shortest amount of time.

To that end I think the rank of lunars is as follows (in terms of % future gains).

1. Bullion Lunars (best sizes are 1oz and then the 2oz)

2. Coloured Lunars

3. Proof Lunars

4. 3 coin sets

5. 4 coin typeset

6. Gilded Lunars

6. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

so they're just a gold plated shiny little novelty to get the collector obsessive types in. I wasn't planning to start buying any, i picked up a mouse for cheap and that's it for me.

I'm reading a book atm, the underground economist, about how retailers offer a range of products so consumers can voluntarily identify themselves as being non-selective about price. Helps retailers identify and target the customers they have the best chance of extracting the most money from. Coffee shops offering 10c a cup extra for 'free trade' coffee even though the actual cos to the store is less than 1c a cup etc, etc.

Series 1 gilded lunars seem to be a bit more sensible. 50,000 mintage vs an average 100,000 mintage for the bullion coins. Seen a couple for sale recently for roughly the same price you'd pay for a bullion coin on feebay.

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I must fit into the retail sucker category... they really are beautiful coins!

I have two guilded lunars (a horse and a dragon) that I paid top-dollar for. Purely because they looked so good. They were in no way an investment...more a selfish artistic indulgment.

If they released a guilded Jennifer Biel I'd buy that too... Ibut pass on a guilded Keiser 'yeeuck'! :)

8. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Gilded coins are a waste imo, the mintage is too high for them to be of numismatic value and the Gold on the coin is negligible.

Especially the koalas, Gilded koalas really? :|

I'd rather go for the proofs if I really want that case and COA for lunars.

Also with Perth Mint overpricing their lunar series 2 gilded coins I doubt very much that they are selling well at all, the demand is just not there :p

For the price you pay for a lunar gilded coin, you can get one of those better looking colored pandas from Perth Mint. I'd rather get that!

9. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

I concur wholeheartedly.

10. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Unless it's just bullion, you're paying the premium for it looking pretty. That said, I do have the Megatron and Optimus Prime Transformer 1oz coins. And will be buying the next 3 that are released next month - mostly because they're pretty and I am a big Transformers fan...

I mean seriously, who doesn't think talking robots from another planet that transform into bad ass cars are totally awesome?

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

That's a pretty astute observation - of course there will be exceptions though. Gilded and coloured Lunars are now being released in rolls of 20 for example to somewhat circumvent mintage limits on the straight bullion variety.

Come September I'll be buying 2oz specimen Dragons, 1oz Proofs, and 3 coin sets as that's probably the only way to get into the 2oz Proofs. Basically go back through the previous mintage figures and see what's rarest. Spec city here we come!

12. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

women?

13. NQDave

NQDave Active Member Silver Stacker

Gp, whats your thoughts on the 1/2 Dragons, the cost of 1/2 is not bad and there past mintages seem a fair bit less than the 1oz.

14. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

My ranking of the coin types, bullion, coloured, gilded etc etc is purely in terms of how I see their capital gain in $ over time. Would you rather buy 1 gilded at say $100 and sell it for $120 in 3 years or buy 2 bullion @ $50 each and sell each for $80 in 3 years time?

My ranking was just my view on how to maximise your returns over time with the best coin assets.

15. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Bullion 1oz definitely seems the best bet, look at how rabbits are already performing 1oz-wise. Rabbits are at least 10-15 dollars premium per ounce now! Don't think any of the other coins have had much gains.

The dragons are going to be hoarded so hard...300k limit will probably run out in weeks lol

16. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm collecting the 1oz proofs. If I can get my hands on the 1oz coloured coins I may collect both of those sets. I'm not keen on the massive mintage of the gilded set.

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hot..... at spot.

Otherwise, not.

1for1