Getting scratches out of coins.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Scorpion75, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

I have a silver 1oz koala coin with small fine scratches across the neck of the queen.LOL. When you tilt in light it isnt that visable but when you look in duller light it is visable. Any ideas how to polish out as its like a mirror finish as you would know. Would i lose much value if i left it?

Ideas appreciated.

Scorp

2. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Unfortunately - i dont think that anything can be done to bring it back to its former glory.
    You would need a $2 mill lab so that you had the tools to remove that scratch and not introduce any new ones.

Practically speaking, more than 90% of stackers most probably wouldnt swap other 1 oz Koala coins for that one ( assuming that the other ones are UNC ) or other 1 oz bullion coins ( kooks, maples, philharmonikers, pandas, etc )

The scratch isnt a big deal, but big enough to not create an incentive large enough for other stackers to swap their UNC bullion coins for that coin.

That scratch lowers the value of that coin by $2-$5.

I would ( if i could ) swap that scratched coin for 3 x 1966 50 Cent pieces but wouldnt swap it for 1 oz of other predecimals ( as i think that even the scratched 1 oz Koala is better than 1 oz of predecimals ( unless the predecimal are the 1927 Canberra Florins, or 2 Canberra Florins and 3rd Other Year 925 Florin )

In a nutshell, ALWAYS BE CAREFUL with coins, especially those in UNC condition.

When i show a 10 oz Kook to noobs, i always tell them that if they drop it, that the value of the coin would lose about $40 ( at current prices ) the moment it hits the pavement/concrete/tiles but only around $20 if it falls on a carpet.

:)

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

If you check fee-Bay prices of perfect bullion coins vs. dented, scuffed or scratched you may discover that there is no difference in price within the bidding bands.
    Your 1 oz Koala is I assume a standard bullion coin so it's value is 1 oz at spot if selling plus whatever extra someone will pay to buy it.
    Once fee-Bay or other dealing costs have been taken from your account you are still left with spot price if lucky.
    Wouldn't worry about the scratches - life's too short.

4. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

Yes I agree with Photonware here, unless it's a massive eyesore I wouldn't worry about it and the weight would still be 1oz silver so from that perspective it hasn't lost any spot value being silver bullion ultimately.
    I have recieved maples and phillis with milk spots all over them and at the end of the day it may not be visually as attractive with them, but does/should not impact on there value whatsoever ( that's a naturally occuring process, but still on a comparision level of visual appeal I guess..)
    From a numismatic point of view, sure it would probably not do you many favours but are you a numismatic coin collector or bullion silver stacker? or both?...

It's all good..

:D

5. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

Its a bullion coin. Just realised its a 2007 kooka 1oz. My own fault as i tried to clean a couple of spots. Cloth a fraction to coarse i guess. In a bright light you cant see but can in duller light, if that makes sense. I love the coin and the main side is 100% perfect. Still worth the same as any other coin if i sell back to mint later on. I think i'm to much of a perfectionist.
    I'll leave it alone i think. Cheers for your views guys, much appreciated.

Scorp

6. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

Polish it until the scratch is gone. better yet, polish it until the side is comppletely blank!

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I used to work in the optics industry and saw machines polishing glass plates and lenses etc.

The best quality finishes were absolutely perfect. You couldn't detect a microscopic scratch under very high illumination.
    Looking at a coin under similar conditions it would probably resemble mass of pubic hair !

Conclusion - there must be a way of utilising the optics polishing techniques albeit on a smaller scale to restore a coin to its brilliant mirrored surface.
    I would try buffing with a Dremel drill fitted with a soft polishing disc and jewellers' rouge in water as the abrasive agent.
    Failing that you can spend a day rubbing by hand using the same stuff which needs to be kept runny.
    Ensure the coin is rinsed in clean water before starting so there are no particulates that could scratch your coin.
    Final rinse in warm distilled water before air drying.

Warning - no guarantees of success here, just an idea, so if you ruin your priceless coin - I am relocating to Venezuela or Colombia or .. !!