Getting burnt on Dragons 2012 1oz ag

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Ozi, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

Its moreso the fact that most people want them because they believe they will go up in value. Most people are buying them just to make a quick buck. Why should these be any more popular than 2011 1oz Rabbit, is it just because people like dragons, or because the series 1 dragons are now popular, well they weren't when they were released. All I'm saying is that I am unsure - neither positive or negative.

I guess I am drawing from my experience with shares, its always the 'no brainers', 'sure things', 'cant lose' opportunities that end up not meeting anyones expectations and in most part burning a lot of people.

I have no idea whats going to happen, but i think i'll either pick a few up if i see a bargain, or sit on the sideline and watch it all happen.

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, yes... paper can be very easily manipulated as most silver stackers are accutley aware.. paper markets enagage in a host of unscrupulous activities such as Pump and dumps etc.. we are on the other side of this.. if we are lucky we will get our allocated 20 rounds (if we are lucky..).. its gonna be shortages from the end.. in my experience.. this has never resulted in a cheaper secondary market. THe only varibale making you right could be if Perth mint does the dirty and chnages mintage or brings out a host of coloured substitutes at similar pricing.

Why should these be any more popular than 2011 1oz Rabbit

1. Rabbit SOLD OUT.. each year the lunar series is gathering in populatary.. despite still having the same low mintage.
    2. The Dragon is easily the most popular coin in the set.
    3. The prices are based on spot + around $10 so they are comparable to other items such as kooks...
    4. An instant sell-out looks like its on.
    5. "Its moreso the fact that most people want them because they believe they will go up in value" are you sure? I want them cos:

A i collect Silver
    B I collect Dragons
    C I collect lunar series
    D I collect one ounce bullion near spot

That fact these will be a kick arse investment and in short supply is a function of the beauty, secondary market desirablility, the fact its a popular series and with an ultra low mintage..

In other words, i buy them cos i like them firstly.. understanding they are a great investment is just the secondary bonus you get for choosing such a well-rounded investment as this. Everyones different with investing but if you can score 2012 one ounce dragons before they sell out.. its no paper promise

1for1

3. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

26.5% over spot isnt really 'around spot' is it? :)

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Depends on what they will release for --> $60+ aint a good a buy as $45 which would be the normal lunar release price.

5. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

1. OK so they sold out, but not all that quickly, and they dont command that much of a premium currently.
    2. Debatable, the series 1 dragon was the most popular, that doesnt mean dragons will be the most popular of this series.
    3. Agreed, but it will be interesting to see how this fares with a falling silver price.
    4. Most probably, but it hasnt happened yet.

Do you believe that the overseas allocation of the 300,000 mintage will sell instantly, or just the Australian component?

And I wonder how many of these will find their way back into Australia.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

The Price of Lunar Silver is a FUNCTION of Spot.. not AROUND spot.. huge difference.. the around $10 was for the premium over spot. ie: between $7-$14 initially (eg: perth mint is more than bullionbourse)

You do realise that the LUNAR BULLION are the same price as kookaburras and Koala's right? Either you buy perth mint bullion at SPOT + $10 or you stick with your buffalos/maple/philharm/ase's -yawn for about 5%-10% over spot anyway.

The big variable is spot.. if spot shoots to $75 dragons will be like $85 each.. this is the only scenerio where a sell-out will not occur.

This thread is pretty self-explanitory.. buying silver for $50 and then have spot drop to $20 is bad for all silver investors ... regardless of the specific bullion you choose.. will a drop to $20 hurt dragon buyers more than everyone else? I dont see how (other than if spot spikes and we pay too much on the original offering)

1for1

7. Ozi

Ozi Member

They might even be over $50 each by 1 September 2011.

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

could you post a link? I can't find 1 oz for sale, pre-order, back-order, anywhere on their site. Thanks

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

This was back in June.

10. getiton

getiton New Member

how time flies...

11. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

It appears to me that there are many sheeple qualities about these 2012 Lunars.

Wild speculation that these coins will put them on easy street in a few days.

IMO Everyone will rush out, buy their meagre allocation, snap up hugely overpriced bullion from anywhere they can get it, then sit on it.

Waiting, waiting, waiting for the 2000 Lunar Dragon Gravy train, which will only roll around once spot goes to the moon,

Good luck to everyone who is jostling for position to get their 2012 lunars.

Looking forward to how this pans out, quite happy to be proven wrong........

Cheers

12. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My advice: get them now... from Europe. Most German dealers will pre-sell.

13. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

worth repeating.

14. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I doubt that the 1oz Dragons will garner anywhere near that of the series one did. With the mania of the 1oz Dragons having many that will sit on them and possibly exaggerating scarcity and premiums a little, I think that will force many into 1/2 and 2oz Dragons. The sheer numbers of these likely to be sold will completely make any premiums in years to come on the 1 oz dragons redundant.

I mean really is the 300,00 mintage limit going to be an issue in 10 years? Why would anyone pay a much bigger premium on a bullion coin when they can get a much better deal on a 2oz coin or 1/2 ounce coin?

15. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hype is the new black.

16. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

For me, the added benefit of the lunars was the numismatic potential at bullion pricing. With dragons, you would already be paying numismatic prices. I normally only buy 1oz coins, but I would buy silver bars before paying $80 for a newly issued lunar coin.

17. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Basically what dccpa said...if you can buy dragons at almost bullion pricing then ok. If you're going to pay $90 for one then maybe rethink what you are doing.

I am doing exactly what Lovey80 is saying, if 1oz is unreachable I will stack lots of 1/2oz and 2oz since they're unlimited mintage.

Seeing tiger 1/2oz go for around $35 and the 1oz for $60 makes me think that the dragon will perform somewhat in a similar fashion.