Getting A job in a Gold or Silver mine?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by BootyBandit, Feb 15, 2012.

1. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

Is the process hard? do they take unskilled workers?

2. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

My old man drives the dumpies up north of WA in a gold mine.
    I worked on a project building a gold mine down south of WA at Boddington.
    Id say mining side would be harder.... but construction side, they take just bout any1 (TAs\unskilled wokers), with the amount of work comming up lol

3. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

do you reckon you could give me some information on how to apply, Im spose to be getting in the army this year but they've been f*in around with the application and looks like they're gunna take their own sweet time so if I can get a job in a gold or silver mine I might stick with it, what is the pay like?

4. TheMineTech

TheMineTech New Member

5. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

If you want to get into the construction side as a TA hit up HR at Monadelphous, Ausgroup, Lang o'rourke. Mainly the big companies. Get your EWP and fork tickets and you should have a good go at getting in on a FIFO job.

6. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

I got into a coal mine as survey assistant with only 8 months experience in rail construction and 6months at TAFE doing Cert 3 surveying.I use to work in financial markets for 11 years. best change have ever made. i guy i was working with

7. DSK

Continued.....i guy i was working with at last job got into gold mine in W.A pretty easy doing surveying.
    the mines are hungry for workers and do take on people with out any mine experience but have to have some construction background.

to get into operating the dump trucks/dozers/diggers your best bet would to get some tickets driving excuvators/trucks, ect...then look around.

but overall, do some sort of course to get foot in the door.

best of luck

8. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

sounds like fun! ... i reakon driving heavy equipment would be pretty cool..

9. Byron

Byron Guest

Any downsides to working in the mines?

I heard rentals are expensive and hard to find in remote areas. Also quite a few "rough" personalities working in mining.

Anything else?

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Away from family.
    Sometimes tough working conditions depending on the site

11. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

okay Today I went in to ask about pricing for the ticket, as they are pretty expensive (around the 4k mark) if anyone has experience please guide me to which one would be the best job overall

1. Grader

2. Dump Truck

3. Backhoe

4. Front end Loader

5. Excavator

each of these costs around $3-4k each so Im going to choose one, I work in a heavy machinery yard so I can pretty much drive all of them no problem, I just need to learn the tricks of the trade ofcourse and how to operate them in work conditions as All i do when i drive them is drive them around the yard and park it where it needs to be ect..

12. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

Out of those I'd say Dump truck but you should add to the list Crane operator - in demand and high pay.

13. DSK

i love working in the mine, much better then in a high rise in the sydney cbd. the people at my mine are pretty good and from all walks of life.i have not come across any 'rough' personalities but back in the day there most have been loads...
    you have to pass medicals including drug and alcohol screening.....daily blowing in the bag for alcohol before starting your shift plus random drug testing.....
    am in mudgee and there are several coal mines in the area...
    about 40mins drive from town. nice rentals in price range of 340 to 400.

14. DSK

where i work operators start on dump trucks, progress to graders, loaders, dozers then diggers. get your truck license and apply for that to a contracting company that has a mine for a client.
    drivers are in high demand and you would get a job with no experience and only a ticket. i talk a lot with contractors and thats what i have been told./

15. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey BootyBandit! Where you at in Australia? If your in WA I can possibly get you underground drilling. One of my mates hires / fires for a big company. Shoot me a PM if ya interested, and I will give ya his details tomorrow.

16. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Exploration drilling is the easiest to get into, diamond drilling better than RC..basically just need HR licence and senior first aid (maybe not even that) Hunt oil & gas were chasing some people a few months back, not sure about now.. Few pics on their site so you get an idea of working environment.

17. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

wow thanks alot for that but im on the Gold Coast, If hes interested in flying people out I would be glad to take it

18. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

to get into operating the dump trucks/dozers/diggers your best bet would to get some tickets driving excuvators/trucks, ect...then look around.

i call bull crap.

apply for jobs dead. no experience needed for drivers. current drivers license and clean police record. all they need.

19. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Times must have changed from when i was in the mines 4 years ago. Back then it was impossible to get a job driving the trucks (haul-pacs especially). On the mines you already have how many guys/girls working out in the heat doing labour intensive jobs, they have been doing these jobs for how long already.
    So if a vacancy comes up for a driver who sits down most of the day in A/C cab, all these people working at that particular mine wouldn't want to change jobs?
    I will be happy for someone to prove me wrong (good for them if they get a job) if they have just a drivers license only with no mining experience and get one of these truck driving jobs earning 100000-150000/ year or whatever the going rate is these days.. Just by walking in off the street and applying.
    I have also heard similar stories of process operators who apparently just sit all day 'pressing a button' and getting $5000 a week with no experience. Again, this wouldn't happen because such jobs would be absorbed by all the 'old mate's' who are out there already busting their asses in the sun while covered in flies.

20. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

most of us get out after 5-10 years. there are always new people needed.