Generic Silver VS Designer / Currency Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by copperhead, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I don't know what a platic pouch is but you're right, sounds pretty impressive to me too...

Honestly though, it depends on who you're selling it to. All the oohs and ahhs don't make any difference to someone who knows what they're buying. To me the 2nd listing sounds more amateur and desperate (nothing personal, that's my opinion). Throw the word 'brilliant' in front of uncirculated and maybe spell out ASE and the first one has everything a serious shopper wanting an ASE would be looking for. And if the price is right, it will sell. Most people (unless they're clueless) won't pay a dollar extra simply for a description to their liking. Now maybe if you had better policies and shipping, if the dollar is justified that's a different story.

2. ProspectorMidWest

ProspectorMidWest New Member

Yeah that was an exagerated example I was trying to make a point if you're looking to get value out of your silver. Someone who takes time and explains their item versus a potentially disgruntled stacker trying to liquidate. Just a broad idea. On a different note face to face pm selling outside a shop seems like an easy way to get mugged. So always be safe too.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Bottom line, know the risks and advantages of buying either or both blobs and collector silver. At different times and under different circumstances, either could be more valuable to you. Think it out.

Don't be hasty. There will always be more than enough blobs for everyone and their brother to purchase...there is absolutely no shortage of blobs. In many cases, collector coins can be purchased at less cost in the after market than directly from the mint. For some low mintage highly popular collector coins, it may be better to buy them pre-sale or as early as possible because in the after market they will be more costly. A number of recent coins come to mind 1) the 2014 5 oz Britannia silver proof 2) the 2014 7-coin Libertad proof set 3) the 2014 LunarSkulls proof coin 4) the Frank Frazetta Death Dealer proof private mint rounds. I'm sure there are many more examples but there are even more examples of collector coins that have lost value after initial sales pricing.

4. precious roar

precious roar Active Member

If you had to sell a bunch of your PM quickly and at once (so no ebay, or ss forums etc.), where could you get spot?

5. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

At every coin store I've ever been to.

6. precious roar

precious roar Active Member

^^ That hasn't been the case with a few that I have tried. Maybe I tried the wrong places, which is why I was wondering where DanielM goes to sell (same city as me).

7. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Plenty stores here have a sign " We buy silver " no body here pays spot after all how are they going to keep there lights on.
    I once investigated the Pawn thing but then I thought to myself the intrest of $100 could buy like 5 oz silver
    & he wanted $800 worth of silver as collateral for a loan of $300
    --------------------
    So here is a story , a pawn shop near me that looks legit has a sign up.
    Store closed till further notice owner in hospital. This is a nice shop ,
    Now how do you think I'd feel if I had $800 bucks worth of silver in his safe wile I pray for him to get better.
    Not sure i'd trust a shop that does not have multiple owners. Shit happens owner gets sick , car accidents ,bankruptcy
    heck the shop you borrow from could be on the edge , we are only human .
    And I have seen shops go out of business from not paying rent so heck if I'm gonna entrust $800 bucks of silver
    on human fragilities .

8. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the "getting spot at a coins shop" may well depend on your location. Here in Australia you should get spot or even higher depending on what you are selling. If your coin shop will not pay at least spot then try a metals dealer, though not the guys that set up shop in the centre of the local mall! Here in Australia we also have other issues in regard to Goods and Services Tax which means that items that are not 999 pure and in investment form should attract a 10% tax. I am happy to be corrected but I understand that "Silver Shot" is not considered an investment type of bullion so 'should " attract a 10% tax which would make it an expensive way to stack. Coins such as sovereigns and krugerrands also attract the 10% tax. This probably doesn't need to be factored into the price in the US.

Selling on Ebay CAN be a bit of a minefield but if you take photos of the package both open and closed, including weight, keep all receipts, package it well and ALWAYS use a signature and preferably tracking you will have a lot of evidence to convince Ebay your item was sent as described.

Ebay now have a system running over here where the seller pays for return shipping for goods that are not as described and they will refund both the cost of the goods and any shipping to the buyer. So along those lines if you are buying on Ebay using Pay Pal you are pretty well covered if you get a fake coin.

Also wasn't it not long ago that some people in the US pulled a scam where they opened up a pawn shop, gave really great rates on interest to lure people in, but would only lend a fairly low amount of an items gold value, then just upped and vanished with all the pawned gold? Sure I read that somewhere!

Just my 2 cents :)

9. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

It probably varies from state to state, or country to country. Ours pays spot + .20 for rounds, and spot + .50 for ASE (or something like that).