frustrated with kooks

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by footycard, May 16, 2012.

1. footycard

footycard New Member

Why do these online shops offer the '92 kooks in qty's of 1's, 20's & 100'S
    but not in 10's?

They are missing out on sales i'm sure, they are cutting out entry lever stackers!
    as you either have to pay for them in singles at the highest rate,
    well that's ok if your a collector wanting one of each, or buy 20 at a discount rate.
    why can't they offer 10's at close to the discount rate?
    a roll comes in 20's but it's just shrink wrapping, they could easily split them into 2 rolls of 10.
    there's many more people with $350 to spend then $700 only takes 2 sales to make up one anyway.

i've bought a couple rolls this past week, a couple single coins to look, wanted more today and have looked for a 10x opportunity.
    no-one wants to take my money.

oh well, I guess it's yet another gaping hole in the way bullion is sold here,
    the world my friends, the world.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Perth Mint coins come in rolls of 20, boxed in trays of 100, in cartons of 300. Price breaks typically reflect the full roll size - anything smaller means breaking rolls, and you end up with all sorts of odd roll lengths.

Discounts reflect lower handling costs.

For similar reasons you will find Maples often have a price break at 25, as they come in a tube of 25, not 20.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy 20 at the discounted rate.

Keep 10

Sell 10 at a price slightly lower than the single price and slighty higher than the discount price. win:win! If you presell them you don't even need the capital.

Or say "stuff it, I will get around to selling them later" and throw them in the safe, win!

4. footycard

footycard New Member

was just wanting to use up spare paypal.

yes handling costs, this seems to be a thing with bullion dealers, they seem to value their time more then most.

if they sell 1's then they have broken the roll anyway.
    my point was that if that was available then more would buy, meaning there would only ever be 1 roll open.

The place i was buying from have other perth mint coins in 10's, like the koala's, i can buy them in 10's they come in 20's from the mint, so what about that? why is handling a koala easier than handling a kookaburra?

the world my friends, the world.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Given the premiums on most/all bullion items is in the single digit percentages (as low as 1% on gold for example), yes, time is valuable. Clothing retailers average 100-200% markup - we average around 2-3%.

6. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You should start up a food processing factory. We threw out 12 metric tonnes of potatoes because they weren't to spec and no-one batted an eyelid. Now what to do about the 50+ tonne that's from the same crop that's currently in transit? :eek:

7. footycard

footycard New Member

moonshine baby.

yeah i understand all the excuses, but that's not what will make me spend my $350 is it?
    nothing will as i'm out of the market.
    I need $700 to get in every time [​IMG]

there must be hundreds in the same boat, 2%-3% of $350 is better than 3% of nothing [​IMG]

8. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

at the moment you have saved by waiting till you have $700. The price is dropping everyday. Suppose it just means you make half as many purchases and save on mail as well.
    Have a chat to iceblue, he does request purchases

9. footycard

footycard New Member

i didn't save, i lost.
    I had an order open, you know how they give you 2 days grace to add to the order?
    well i already ordered a roll of 20 and 1 loose panda for my sis', so i figured i may aswell wait the 2 days as I was expecting more paypal to come through.

so when it did, I had another $350 to add to the order so I could get it all shipped together, but when I go to buy I can't buy what I want, so I was frustrated at that.
    I'm not going to buy a 20 roll and then pay so much more for 10 singles, no way.

so in the end i just closed the order off, paid for it and am now considering trying the shops in collins st and forget about shipping and adding to my order, at a shop i can walk in with everything i got to spend and walk out spending every cent, why i can't do that online is beyond me.

I'm less than 10 minutes drive to collins st, I don't know why I didn't go there in the first place.

10. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

yes i know what its like not being able to buy rolls upfront. it is a lot easier to get 300-400 ready. but you could buy 10oz bars, sell them when you have multiples & then buy your rolls of coin. where were you ordering from?

11. footycard

footycard New Member

yeah got it figured out now, wait for silver to go down to $14oz and buy my rolls of 20 then, then stacking will be easy, $300-$400 will buy you a roll of anything.

10oz bars? hmmm.. don't know if i'd bother holding 10oz bars if they were only worth $140 a bar, no fun then and think now one will want them unless they are melting but why would you bother melting at $14? not sure i'd want to take the risk of saving a few dollars on a bar at them prices, probably a good time to be buying gold then aswell, the bigger they are the harder they fall so i'll start buying my 1/10 roo's when gold hits around $600

12. fantuzzi

fantuzzi Member Silver Stacker

$14 ?? Where did you get $14 from? 10oz bars are my favourite nothing wrong with a 10oz bar.

13. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Do you actually read your posts before you submit them? a lot of them don't seem to make much sense.

14. footycard

footycard New Member

I didn't realise the requirement to post here had to make sense.
    thanks for the heads up!
    no go away will ya

15. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

AAHHH you better go & hang out with your mate
    Waffle & Fluff ;)

16. footycard

footycard New Member

lame asses can't play the ball

17. footycard

footycard New Member

I don't have an ego to defend so say what you like i guess

the world my friends, the world

18. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

I'm in the same boat, a full roll of 1oz coins is usually a bit too much for my budget when I get the urge to buy.
    But you can, as I have, get rolls of 20x 1/2oz takus or 5x 2oz dragons for about $350ish - both good buys in my opinion, you get the full roll discount and fits the budget :D

19. footycard

footycard New Member

Here's a reenactment of the phone call I made to Tony, the bullion dealer today about my order..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8DL9_Oj9Y[/youtube]