Fricitonless motion via superconductivity

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by hawkeye, Nov 21, 2012.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I can see a lot of potential applications for this. Transport being one of the major ones.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXHczjOg06w[/youtube]

2. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

There's transport, which is a huge one. How much energy would a car need to travel if it had this? And high-speed trains? Man they could go fast (potentially).

In fact, they could go faster than conventional aircraft, due to no requirement for 'wings' and other friction producing components.

Assuming there is no friction.

But when i heard this part (same video, time set to 8:54):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXHczjOg06w&feature=player_detailpage#t=534s

Stored energy? Um, solar power storage anyone?

I remember once having a discussion about 'supercapacitors' (essentially massive batteries) that would be needed if large solar power plants were to become a viable full-time alternative to coal, simply due to the on-demand requirement people have for power, and the need for power at night.

This may be a solution.

3. hawkeye

It's interesting that Kurzweil, in the other video I recently posted mentioned about Solar power becoming feasible on a large scale in I think a decade or so.

He is applying the exponential curve to it and saying it's around 1% I think now of power generation or almost that. But saying that it is on an exponential curve and that it will only take a few more doublings in capability for it to become widespread. Caveat, I really know very little about the mechanics or economics of solar so I don't know how true that might be.

I always thought Fusion would be ultimately the way we go, but whichever, it looks like we should at some point have a relative abundance of energy.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Quantum locking - 04 minutes 30 seconds into the vid - Awesome. :)

5. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Absolutely fantastic idea however, the governments of the developed nations would never let this take over the car industry and that is NEVER :( To many people need jobs to support themselves, to many 3rd party industries rely on the vehicle industry and gubberments need tax to survive. It's a bit like the Back to the Future hoverboard thingy. As for the electrical industry and transmission of electricity that might happen due the fact that electrical energy needs are getting harder to achieve with the existing infrastructure and declining of clean fossil fuels. Yes, I know cars run on (petrol = oil = fossil fuel )There is a problem though how long would it take to develop the cable which is the super conductor ? :rolleyes: In the end it's a great idea but I think about 200 years in the making....

6. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

^ I wonder if they could magnetise existing railway lines...

How much magnetism is even required? A lot more needs to go into it no doubt - they'd build new lines anyway :)

Depending on who 'owns' the technology, not all countries would be against this kind of thing to preserve the status quo. Scandinavian countries particularly.

I wonder if it could work through snow?

7. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

I remember the Germans (maybe??:rolleyes:) had a crack at the railway thingy a few years ago and when they were testing the bloody thing which by the way was going gang busters they hit a some stupid scissor lift maintenance guys???? you tell me this....how does the most efficient race in the world, have the greatest attention to detail, who are testing the most expensive, most challenging, most exciting new form of transport for years actually forget to say to the maintenance guys "oh, by the way lads, management are testing the train today so have your sandwiches on the ground and stay off the scissor lift" :p and those idiots didn't ....it doesn't figure :rolleyes: Anyhow, we haven't heard from that project ever since. I believe they were selling the idea into the Chinese and all had to go well but it didn't.

As I said, it's a brilliant idea but society relies or should I say MUST obtain taxes from the status quo transport systems so, it ain't ever going to happen fast. China is the only country that can make this happen because there aren't any unions to stop them. If the Chinese want it they will have it...

8. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwbrZ4knpg

9. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Maybe you don't understand the video, or maybe it's lost in translation somewhere, but this is significantly different to a Maglev train - the 'quantum locking' that Holdfast refers to above is amazing.

It's problematic to keep a maglev on the tracks no doubt? And i wonder if it would take lots of power to run, etc. But the idea in this thread is significantly different and I believe takes a lot less power. The major obvious issue is getting the right superconductor... and not having to constantly dip it in liquid nitrogen ;)

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^not having to constantly dip it in liquid nitrogen

Maybe Outer Space??? :)

11. hawkeye

Right. It's not magnetic levitation, it's quantum mechanics.

Quantum mechanics is very weird and difficult for humans to understand intuitively because we are so used to medium level size things. Richard Feynman, top theoretical physicist famously said "no-one understands quantum mechanics". And it's true. The mathematics works and produces predicted results but it's hard for us to comprehend because what happens down at that level is so different from our ordinary experiences. But the power of QM and what it may lead to is just unbelievable.

QM is truly bizarre, but very, very cool.

12. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just out of interest does anyone here study or work in physics?

as iv been contemplating a career change and was looking into this field. I just have no idea where to start.

I think in the coming years things are going to get very exciting in this area!

13. Auspm

Auspm New Member

I used to work for the CSIRO.

Trust me, this nation does not value scientists, unless you create something that has industry/practical application to sell.

Most of our brightest and best get on a plane as soon as their education is finished and head for countries that do value their input.

Australia isn't one of them.

14. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Yes without going into too much detail I understand that it is different however, it seemed to me that through evolution, with this Maglev train concept, it would have eventually developed using "quantum locking". At least they seemed to be using similar technology or heading down that pathway. I suppose it's like the first car didn't have a wing mirror, air bag, seat belts, or abs, etc etc - eventually this Maglev train would have used quantum locking. ;)

15. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think Australia values any profession, except maybe a useless government worker or property developer. I'm currently doing Computer generated imagery and the Australian market is a joke.

As for Physics though are there any good research project available in Australia? Iv accepted that if there was the wage wouldn't be very good, but I'm happy to work for a small amount if i could work on an interesting project.