Franklin Mint

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by DJBurton85, May 11, 2013.

1. DJBurton85

DJBurton85 New Member

Thoughts?
    I come across something of interest that was reasonable prices. Almost bought it but found bits and pieces on the net that said their coins, etc are crap. Set in 1975, I read something about the content not being accurate either. Shall I avoid or do you think if well priced, it may be worth something? Priced $1500 and it is the silver collection with a mint apparently of 10,000.
    'franklin mint the treasures of the renaissance 100 peices 925 silver made in 1975 with book and storage table in perfect condition'

2. DJBurton85

DJBurton85 New Member

Excuse my ignorance; I am a new member and I do try and do a lot of research myself but I joined this forum to seek others wisdom and experience. Thank you in advance! :)

3. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Sorry I have no idea in regards to this set but perhaps this forum section is misleading. It's 'Questions and Comments' regarding the website itself. If this was asked in either the 'Silver Coins' or 'Numismatics' section you may get a better response.

4. DJBurton85

DJBurton85 New Member

Oops, thanks for letting me know. Could Admin please remove? Thanks AS! :)

5. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

First and foremost, let's have a link to this item - if it contains around 60oz of silver, it might be worth it for scrap etc.

Aside from that, and whilst this thread is being moved, let me provide what amounts to my opinion on Franklin Mint ;) Whilst I'm based in Australia, I have the benefit of being married to someone from the USA who also understands a good bit about PM's and stacking - so I have a bit of an idea & opinion on this one.

If your emphasis is on purchasing precious metals, whether on the bullion or numismatic side, I would avoid Franklin Mint at all times for the stuff they produce in house. My impression is that they produce what I would best describe as "kitsch" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch). The items are described to have "collectable" significance, and are made of "precious metals", my impression is that most of the effort put in to the product is in the packaging and paraphernalia surrounding it than the product itself.

Whilst there may well be a market for onselling these products at a later date, you would be looking more at selling to a "collector" of these things (think parallels between stamp collections), or potentially selling the item at a bullion dealer for scrap value.

As far as buying recognised bullion from them, I upgrade my advice from "avoid" to "run for the hills and don't look back". Here's why:

I decided to look at a 1/4oz American Gold Eagle - relatively common purchasing for stackers in the USA I'd imagine. I checked the Franklin Mint site, and then APMEX for comparison.

Franklin Mint: http://www.franklinmint.com/2012-10-american-eagle-gold-coin-bu-25oz.html

APMEX: http://www.apmex.com/Product/74136/2013_W_1_4_oz_Proof_Gold_American_Eagle_PR_70_PCGS_FS.aspx

Summary: Franklin Mint price for uncirculated = $925.00, APMEX for a slabbed PR-70 (in other words, a much better condition coin if you actually care about this) = $517.42

In closing, a couple of additional comments if I may... be aware the Franklin Mint is not a US government authorised Mint (as you would imagine from the name) - it is a private mint (and better described as a foundry/forge - or more accurately, a marketing organisation), because they are *EXPERTS* at spinning words to twist emotions to make folk who are unaware of the story behind this organisation buy things that are either of little value, or, if there is value there, at highly inflated prices over and above what can be found at other providers.

6. DJBurton85

DJBurton85 New Member

Cheers MM. That information is certainly appreciated and makes sense. They certainly do have experts selling their product cause I got the impression they were an Authorised US mint and highly reputable! Think I will steer clear of their collectables and medallions as quiet a few people have expressed similar opinion. Thanks! :)