FOFOA, Another, FoA etc. What is Freegold exactly?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by reflection, May 15, 2011.

1. reflection

reflection New Member

I have not seen this specifically covered in this forum. There are a number of internet blogs and posts about it but but nothing concise. How does it work day-to-day? How does currencies relate to it? Does it look likely to happen?

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

I am still trying to get my head around it. Their is plenty of literature on the web relating to FREE GOLD.

3. reflection

reflection New Member

That's the problem. Where is the executive summary. I assume it means people save in gold but day-to-day transact in currency. But people can do that right now. Businesses (perhaps mainly international businesses) transact in gold. Then there are all sorts of consequences, which we don't really need to go into. I just want to get the nub of it.

With some US states accepting gold for payments and Ron Paul wanting a gold standard this seems to be muddying the waters. Or is it part of the process towards freegold?

Is the US$ being destroyed to facilitate this process to a gold as reserve currency or free gold or what. Things seem to be a mess.

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2011/01/freegold-foundations.html

The Free in Freegold

Okay, here it is. What you've been waiting for patiently, I presume. This is what gold will be freed from: The fractional reserve banking practice, which is a carryover from the gold standard.

This is the free in Freegold.

5. bubbleboy

bubbleboy Member

Freegold is a way to determine the value of our global currencies by using gold as the ultimate reference point. So rather than determining the value of gold by looking at it's dollar price, all currencies will be valued by their reference to gold.

Today gold is generally viewed just a commodity that is traded by mostly exchanging claims on gold rather than the gold itself. Fiat currencies are now so unstable that there is an inevitable unstoppable unwinding coming to the global currency system.

Freegold is the most stable and likely outcome of the this manifesting global situation.

At some point, possibly in the next two years, the 'gold price' will crash from people selling ETF's and other paper claims on gold while premiums on physical gold will be beyond our current comprehension due to it's value as a global reference point.

The following story, from http://fofoa.blogspot.com

Anyway, for whatever reason, I thought to myself, "Good thing I have this new understanding. I bet you that means I'm going to run into Robert soon (the former chair of the econ department) so I can try to explain Freegold to him again. . . . . .

"So can I try to explain Freegold to you again?"

"Sure" he says. So we sit at the same table and I start talking about gold and he says to me,
    "Bad idea."

"What's that?" I said.

"Going back to a gold standard" he said.

"No Rob, not a gold standard. The world is never going back to a gold standard."

So I keep talking and 3 or 4 more times he says,
    "I can't understand what you are talking about if it is something other than gold backing a currency."

So I say to him,
    "Okay, think of this. Imagine you buy an AM/FM radio in USD for say, 10 bucks, then go to Japan and see the same radio for 900 Yen, do you see how this radio can be priced in two currencies?"

He says,
    "yeah, that's called purchasing power parity".

"Exactly! Now think of gold in terms of purchasing power parity".

So he thinks for quite some time and says to me,
    "So, countries are going to settle balance of trade in real gold?"

"Yup".

"And who is going to clear these trades?"

"I'm not sure, but my best guess is the BIS."

"Do you own gold?"

"Yes, I own gold."

BIG SHOCK. He moves his chair back.

"How much?"

"I'm not going to tell you that Robert. Why don't you tell me how much you have in your retirement plan, how much your salary is, and how much debt you have?"

"Which one should I answer first?"

"Rob, I'm not going to tell you how much gold I have."

"And when did you start buying?"

"Oh, I made my first purchase back in 2005. But I started trading silver for gold about 3 weeks ago."

6. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I very much doubt that will happen though Hobo - my majority holding is in gold back in the UK, nice to know I could go home to untold riches :p