flying pandas?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvstack, Dec 5, 2011.

1. silvstack

silvstack Member

when a bird shit on me the other day i was grateful that pandas don't fly ... but on 9/21 i purchased 2011 pandas at an exhorbitant mark-up - silver was about US$40 and i paid almost US$50. since then silver has plummetted to the low US$30s. and i notice that 2011 pandas are still selling for US$50.

i don't understand what i've gotten myself into - though i'm not complaining. what i am contemplating, however, is selling (all?) generic rounds and bars and picking up this type of numismatics to hedge against a SNHTF (shit not hitting the fan) scenario.

i know chinese coins are subject to a huge demand, but it seems there's a disconnect - any thoughts on premiums for such current coins?

**SINCE POSTING I CHECKED OUT THE PANDA FORUM - LOTS OF INFO, WOW! - SO I GUESS I HAVE THE INFO I SOUGHT**

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I'm no expert, however I would advise against swapping everything into Pandas...

3. Anthony

Anthony New Member

I would also advise of swapping everything for pandas.

However, I would encourage more panda research, as it is such an interesting subset of coins.

Your timing is lucky as the 2012's are just out, so the 2011 price is remaining relatively firm. I would expect the 2012 pandas to have a higher premium than most other 1oz coins but still move with spot, retaining most of that premium. The mintage is also up this year slightly.

It is the older pandas that are the most interesting though :)

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do your research before jumping into anything...

But after I did my research I jumped fully into Pandas, and have been profitably rewarded.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

LOL.

6. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Anthony, I totally agree.

Yep, last time I checked, Fishball had the lowest 2011 price of $47each, with others selling them for as high as $69.95each.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-18623-any-remaining-2011-pandas-out-there-page-2.html

That's a pretty fantastic return for a coin that sold for around $42 just a few months ago (doesn't even include the optional advantages of getting them graded). Some people were buying them for around $38 not so long ago also.

Already the 2011s are showing themselves to be -
    a) resistant to drops in spot (if anyone wants to sell any Pandas at the usual price of 20% above spot, I will likely buy as many as you can sell)
    b) highly sought after (very few places have large quantities available at their usual price)
    c) performing in line with historical Panda profit performance

I also totally agree with your comments that the older Pandas are the most interesting :). I'm keeping my eye on the BIG 3.

7. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

NOT ADVICE

but all of my gold is panda gold. :) :p :)