Finding Coins

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Atech, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Atech

Atech New Member

So I've read through this whole sub section hoping to see some methods people use in order to find rare coins, apart from actually buying them from dealers. So how do you guys do it? Is it a matter of hitting up coin auctions, garage sales or what?

2. Philski

Philski Member

i check every coin and every note during my day. And metal detect for them and online Auctions like Downies, Status international, ebay, Gumtree for collections etc. Local papers and actively advertise for them. Then see what i have found. It does take up a bit of room if you get into it, is one down side.

You will though by collecting them be saving money involuntarily. And the worst that can happen is you can spend it any day, on anything you like, at any time you like. On Silver etc..

i look for rare years and errors. And you have a chance of some being in your wallet / pocket / car right now. Get a loupe and try and understand grades and facts on mintages and current market outcomes. Aim for the best grade you can find. they sell for more.

is it worth it?

$20 notes $2000 in unc
    $1 coin for $500
    20 cent worth $350
    2c = $250

Then the big money, the holey dollars. $135 thousand smackeroos last found in Tassie.... No wonder i look for them down here.

3. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

read and learn
    Krause standard catalog is a good start

4. Atech

Atech New Member

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated!

I regularly check my change for curvy 20cents, mis-stamped $1 coins. I don't really look out for notes, do they really sell over face value for current notes?

When you go to metal detect do you go to any areas in particular or research the history before going (e.g. 100 year old school grounds?). I know there is another thread on metal detecting and I'm reading through this, really interesting!

For Australia, is there any particular Krause Publications that are good to start reading through?

Appreciate the knowledge!

5. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

For aust coins.
    Australian coin and bank note by McDonald.
    It comes out yearly for about $35 but you can get one of the ones from last year for about $10. Check out ebay.

6. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have the krause standard catalog from 1600 to now, one book for every 100 years. I love reading them and spend a great deal of time learning about coins from all over the world so I can recognise them when I see them in deceased estates. international coins are the easiest to score big on in Australia as Australian coins are well known here but international coins not so much