FFS - Stack PMS and Firetruck the Numi's

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Nugget, Nov 15, 2011.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

For every successful "numismatic" coin by Perth Mint, there are 150 duds.

Just sayin.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

My mentor in this whole PMs shennanigans has been MatrixOpals and from the start he urged me to get hold of silver bullion that was highly liquid (i.e. well known, recognisable and easy to sell on) in smallish units - about 1oz - for the purposes of hedging so that all my wealth is not in fiat should the worst happen.

I've followed his advice and since my first trade, sometime back in May/June, shortly after I joined this forum at Matrix's request, I now have 70oz of physical silver here in Scotland (and more on the way from the latest purchases off ebay and from the online bullion merchant) and about 17oz of physical silver being held for me in Brisbane.

Now I realise to many of you on here that ^^^ is chicken feed but I think I haven't done too badly considering I'm on a very limited income with 2 teenage kids always out to rob me blind. :D

However, I've yet to be sucked into the numi side of stacking....tbh, I just don't get it! :|

Still, if it floats your boat...go ahead!

Personally, I want ounces and the more the merrier, quantity over quality for sure! (as long as it's .999 Ag, mind you!)

However, my guilty little secret addiction has become 5oz old pour bars.

Why?

They're just so fkn cute....and that's all the reason I need, thankee very much! :lol:

Meh...at the end of the day...whether you're in it for the numis or the PMs....

HAPPY STACKING FOLKS! ;)

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Sage advice from MatrixOpals :p, especially if you're hedging wealth and not looking to speculate on gains.

He didn't take his own advice though lol, I distinctively recall him buying Andean Cats :lol:

Congrats! It's a great start, with 2 kids most parents would be in 'subprime' terrority.

Tis pretty. My preciousssssssssssss. Also there's the potential for strong gains and profit which is then reinvested into bullion.

My boat sank with my entire 3oz of silver.

I hear you. Regardless of which horse we're backing, they're all winners. That is all.

4. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I know. Really hard to pick a winner.
    I wish I had a few redbacks just to brag!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with Nugget. I've asked myself this question after my early silver stacking days of mostly coins over bars. I've since realized that I'm not a coin collector because I'm way more interested in other objects (i.e semi precious gems and collecting ashtrays).

At the end of the day I'm only holding stuff I will one day flip for something else, so I want as much of it as possible...my silver barely ever sees the light of day anyway so it doesn't matter what form the silver is.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

So you guys think we who stack numis are different? I'm in it for the returns - I'm not a coin collector. I don't collect anything that cannot be flipped later as a business transaction. It just so happens some of my business transactions involve things of beauty.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I accept that if you know what your doing there is money to be made in numismatics. It's just not for me is all.

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I hope I know what I'm doing :/ :)

9. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Nope - at the end of the day, I think most, if not all folks here would agree on a few fundamental truths:

(1) There's a large increase in market (any market) volatility over the past few years,
    (2) Clever, informed folks, like those on this forum wish to divert some of their assets into time-tested and proven store(s) of value,
    (3) Precious metals are the only option when it comes to store of value proven over 5 millennia

The "vehicle" we each choose to accomplish this is based largely on our own, personal and ultimately valid belief of what will happen, and our world-view. These vehicles range from pre decimal silver, through .999 coins, bars and numismatic items, and diversify into gold, platinum, palladium and rhodium.

Some folks will have a large mix of the above, some will have a very narrow list of what they hold.

There are no right or wrong combinations - each and every person here, irrespective of the amount they hold, and the type of metal they hold, are better off that 99% of the population who are underinformed, and have not the advantages we take for granted.

EDIT: I'm going to buy the forum a dictionary, it believes a 5 letter word beginning with S and ending in VVY with an A in the middle is a rude word. Changed to clever in the text above - but has me bamboozled on the auto-edit! o_O

10. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

:p

There is a bit of forum history behind that particular auto-edit.

The errr 'cleverness' was getting a little out of hand for a while :)

11. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Reported to admin :p

12. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

Nugget - some non-numismatic bullion commands better premiums than others. For example, here in the USA, US Mint Silver Eagles command higher premiums than private mint coins or ingots. The Silver Eagles are technically legal tender and guaranteed purity by the government (FWIW), so people tend to trust them more and the market for them is more robust.

I'm stacking as a hedge against currency malfeasance. I know that ultimately, ounces is the only measure. Still, I also know that the form does matter to some degree to the market.

13. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Those Andean Cats are fugly. Got rid of them all (same as those damn pandas).
    Ounces rule and numis are for fools.

Even better; stock water and food (incl. seeds).

Right; now I concentrate on darkness and lightning back in Ridge - much better than Melrose Places some Brisbane members masturbate over.

Hello to all the regulars.

P.s. I did not even bother to delete/flush cookies from browser and am still able to create a new profile. WTF GP? However, a new network card, but still... cookies, cookies, cookies.

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Assume that this is Matrix back. If so, please behave - already had to delete one of your posts.

You weren't banned, you asked for your account to be removed.

15. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I still believe in buying at bullion prices for possible numismatic return.

10oz Dragons case in point.

16. wilkes

wilkes Member

Why won't people pay the premium? Are you only seeing $10k gold occur in a SHTF scenario? Because when gold doubled, tripled and quadrupled we were still in a 'stable' economy and EVERYONE still pays a premium on any gold weight numismatic.

I have also heard time and time again that the numismatic market does BETTER 10 years following a bull run. Wouldn't it therefore remain a good investment for anyone holding long term? I don't think everyone is here to just flip metal when it goes up, they are also interested in wealth preservation.

You went and bought up a pile of numismatic coins during their release. There was no method of determining their popularity, so it was a risky investment from the start. I just can't see how you would need to be an expert to buy a good investment coin, but you may need to pay a premium on them once they gain popularity rather than on a potential hunch. Seems this shook you pretty hard as you seem to be constantly telling everyone about this experience on SS And I have only been here 6 months.
    I would take the Panda in that situation I have all the generic silver I will ever need to get me through a SHTF scenario and both those gold coins are widely recognized anyway. You think the average Joe knows what a Kruger is? Haha you have been stacking too long! The only non-stacker public that recognize it might be south Africans and old people.
    Not saying you are wrong, just throwing some discussion in the ring.