Few questions

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Honestcoins, May 1, 2012.

1. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Looking for more wisdom from you folks:

1: does getting a coin conserved before grading remove milk spots and toning?

2: why don't ngc graders wear gloves. Their rep told me they dont wear gloves because it reduces the risk of damaging the coin from dropping it. But...wtf? Lol. Why is everyone so paranoid about never touching their stuff and getting it conserved before grading if the graders are just going to manhandle them with bare hands before putting them in their fancy slabs?

I don't get it...

3: If i were to clean a coin with cloudy ammonia to remove milk spots and then later got it conserved before grading, would the conservation of the coin remove all traces of the cleaning? Assuming no damage was done in the cleaning process?

Thanks guys!

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

Toning is almost always removed by conservation,milk spots can be stubborn,I have seen some vanish and some not be totally removed, i saw the cloudy ammonia thing on the internet i would try it on a bullion round or inexpensive panda and just rinse with purified water,but a high priced coin i would leave to the experts .

As far as the no glove thing I totally agree ,and as far as NCS goes I have used them but i think it is overrated (calm down folks) ,my personal opinion,if you have a coin that needs conservation so be it, but I am not so sure that conservation will stop a coin from developing problems in the future , a hazy coin great,remove toning yes ............ an expensive coin well it cant hurt ,but my opinion is this, lets say you have a 100 .00 1996 panda and the coin is OMP and looks great.......... ,if the coin has not acted up in 16 years it probably wont ......I have not seen NCS come out and say if we conserve a coin it will not develop milk spots.....but a lot of folks sure think that is the case,milk spots come from impurities in the metal so me being not an expert cannot get where surface cleaning a coin will keep milk spots from developing... so if i have a perfectly pretty 2010 panda ,and i want to grade it ,i would not spend the extra money ,a 3000.00 gold bear probably yes

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1. Does not remove all whitespots, but usually removes toning.
    2. Dunno, but they are the experts.
    3. Dunno, but there's at least one why to find out :)