Favourite Coin Set Book / Coin Folder Brand - Huge Variation

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by 1for1, Jun 30, 2014.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hello,

This thread is specifically about Coin Folder Brands and peoples opinions on which are the best and also issues association with certain brands,

I mainly have New Zealand and Australia Pre Decimal folders and noticed many of the holes are too tight or too loose for the coins.. creating additional problems i didn't initially bargain for.

BRANDS:

HENDO

DANSCO

WHITMANS (World)

BERTRAND (New Zealand)

WARRIOR (New Zealand)

[​IMG]

2. bja

bja Member Silver Stacker

1for1 what brand have you found to be the best?

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

i intend on going into a large amount of detail about each.. at work at the moment,

even within brands and exact folders i have seen a large variation - to summarise for Australia Pre Decimal Options

All are rather bad with the exception of Whitmans who are top shelf, id say these were the "premium brand" hard cover

4. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

Full Disclosure: We manufacture and sell our own brand of coin album of the type I am about to recommend.

Personally I wouldn't use any push in album for a collection that is made up of anything other than scrap bin grade silver coins or low grade bronze. I'd stick with archival holders in archival coin album pages in archival albums. Works out to be cheaper per coin than push in albums and looks after your coins MUCH better. And if you want you can print up mintages and years on acid free paper to interleave your album pages. Look for PVC free coin holders (like SAFLIPs or some of the types that Lighthouse sell), polypropylene pages (such as our own brand or BCW or UltraPro) and look for ring binders that do not have PVC covered boards. Cardboard coin holders are ok for short term storage but the mylar on them is permeable, they can and do contain dust that can tone the surface of your coin, and the adhesive on the self-adhesive types can let go and you end up with coins stuck to holders.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I find the Dansco push in folders to be a pain and I know I am not alone. I have seen many of them with a strip of sticky tape along the bottom of the coins just to hold them in when you shut the album up. They sort of work for the 1 and 2 cent but the 50 cents are way too heavy and just fall striaght out.

Plus as they are prelabelled there is no space for the 2000 Incuse Flag or any other varieties unless you want to put them in at the end and thus you can't expand the collection beyond the number of holes already provided.

OK to get kids interested maybe but I have never bought another one.

6. leroygeelong

leroygeelong New Member

I have VST coin albums available in pre-decimal and decimal, they have update pages for the decimal album and come in 4 different colours, together with VST banknote album they look really good.

7. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

Are they still PVC?

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

An additional problem with most of these is that you don't get to see the other side of the coin, I see quite a few semi-completed albums for sale but you don't know what the condition of the other side of the coins look like.

If they are a bit loose you can put a piece of paper in the holder to pack it out but this gets annoying if you want to take the coins in and out for any reason.

Dust can get into them as they don't have a slip case. All in all, if the coin is worth putting in an album it is worth paying a bit extra so that it can't deteriorate.

I do have some Lighthouse Euro sets push in albums which have a dense foam to push the coins into rather than cardbaord. That doesn't work any better for the heavier coins.