Fake Silver Coins - Might be useful?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Captain Scarlet, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet New Member

I was thinking about this the other day and would be interested in other views. Nobody wants to buy fake silver/gold, but may there be a good reason for doing this?

If the preppers who stack silver and gold believe the whole world is going to crash and burn and their stacks will save them, why wouldn't they have fake coins? In a world of chaos (let's ignore for the minute that someone can just take what you have by pointing a gun at you), how would anyone tell if the coin you were trading with them was fake. It's hard for experienced people to spot fake coins so how would they ever know.

So, if preppers really thought the world as we know it was ending, why not get some cheap fake silver and gold!

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting what I am thinking...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am not too sure, you are welcome here... I mean in the forum :mad:

If you continuing this kind of behaviours :p

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It's a great question and yes, for those nutbag stackers who do still believe that silver will become magically indispensable in the immediate aftermath of an end-of-days SHTF scenario, there's no good reason whatsoever to believe that fake silver bullion wouldn't be just as valuable as real bullion.....in fact even more valuable because you'd have gotten a lot more fake bullion when you purchased it before the SHTF for the same money than real silver.

But fortunately for those who buy real silver, that nutbag stacker scenario is total delusion because bullion will not be indispensable. What will be critical if a time ever came about is access to clean water and safe food, energy and fuel, arms, secure communication, and the like. Why on earth would someone want to carry 200 pounds of worthless silver bullion in a backpack when they could be carrying necessities and things that will actually help them to survive what would be trecherous times?

In other words, there would be no reason to buy fake bullion in planning for such a time of crisis because not even real bullion will be of any real value during this time. Only long, long, long after the dust has settled would bullion be of value and then I'm sure at that point, there would be reputable places to buy and sell (and even test) bullion and not reputable places.

4. Porcello

Porcello New Member

A guy who went through the devastation in the ex-Yugoslavia said in a prepper's blog that if he had to prepare again for disaster he would stack lighters, alcohol, and sanitary products. Lighters in particular are cheap, stack easily, and are in great demand during a SHTF scenario.

5. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet New Member

I agree that some everyday items will be valuable, but even preppers diversify and store a number of things as well as precious metals. I just thought it'd be an idea to stack some fake stuff as well as real stuff ;)

I'm sure it won't catch on, but just thought I'd float the idea!

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You can stack fake stuff so that if in the event there is the type of end-of-days SHTF scenario that is often talked about and there happens to be a nutbag who breaks into your home looking for silver bullion instead of important things, then at least that nutbag won't go away empty handed....he will have a heavy load of nice looking fake bullion in his backpack which will slow him down just enough for him to be an easy target for the bigger fish in the pond who hates idiots carrying around needless bullion!

7. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

I agree, I still think there is a place for "some" silver and gold but i don't think you need more then say 500 oz of silver and maybe 50 oz of gold or even just 10 oz of gold would be enough..

I stopped collecting high priced numismatic coins and only buy them if i think i can flip for a decent profit to buy bullion, but maybe now I will stock up on lighters and toilet paper and booze too among other things. ;)

8. MasterID

MasterID Member

There will be people who are very eager to trade their bread for your fakes, and there are people who part a lot of money with some pebbles that is black in color even today.

There will also be people who will do 101 tests on your fakes before giving you a truckload of food for it, and there are people who will give you a hell of a time if the tests turn out to be fake.

9. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Hypothetically, it'll work if the situation ever came around. Some people will be fooled some won't. The ones that aren't fooled, I'm sure they might be willing to trade for the other more sinister metal, lead. Unfortunately, the ratio might not be that great. The idea is valid, but dangerous. SHTF scenario you're only going to want what you can carry. I don't look at it like that though. Who in their right mind would travel with hundreds or thousands of ounces of anything these days and where could you go safely. Personally, I'd rather be the dealer and doing the buying, selling, trading.

10. Porcello

Porcello New Member

I'm trying hard to stock up on booze, but for some reason even if I buy regularly my stack does not increase one bit. I wonder where it goes....

11. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Where is OTIS??
    OTIS had some of these fake in the forum, even the event hasn't started.

12. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Kurt Saxon has written a number of books on SHTF scenarios and one of them mentioned the usefulness in giving fake gold to people who were passing through. Rather than trading locally.