Fake Pan American Bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dynoman, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Hate to say it, but perhaps the dealer already knew?

2. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

"Fake silver/gold just like counterfeit money is more likely to be passed on to others once discovered as the only alternative is full loss."

While living in London for a while late eighties there was an abundance of counterfeit 20 pound notes,so abundant the note was changed in desighn to have the silver thread weaving in and out of the paper, most business people invested in an ultra violet metal detecting machine where every denomination note was tested even the new ones before they were accepted. counterfeit notes were just destroyed once detected by being torn up in front of you,bank tellers just confiscated them,police were only interested in bags of them being laundered through countries like Spain.

I had a few passed to me by retentively honest people early on, I actually still have one that was passed to me in a wage payment. :(

When faced with cash loss most people will just pass small amounts of counterfeit on rather than accept their loss! The 20 pound notes were passed onto unsuspecting tourists taxi drivers spent overseas exchanged overseas and slipped into cash wage payments or in change of 50,s by just about everyone who received them in amongst their own cash payments,workers of pubs and clubs were exchanging their own miss fortunately received bum notes in with change or til swap.

Eventually everyday people would not accept any 20,s even the new ones, this could quite easily happen with 1oz minted silver bars once the majority grow wise to the shear number of fakes out there.

Anti fake measures have only be put in place recently which still leaves a lot of older silver especially legitimate 1oz minted bars that may be treated as suspect to a potential buyer so ignored.

It wast long ago that an ss member said he had received potentially fake buffalo rounds in amongst a purchase from another member and everyone here stopped buying buffalo's except XAG buffs from very well trusted members. :(

3. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Not talking about the OP,s case here at all but I would imagine given the small cost of some of this stuff some who know silver well may buy fakes out of pure curiosity and wouldnt want the PM community to know they are actually feeding the problem through curiosity.

How many stackers on youtube warning us and showing how to spot a fake when they actually purchased fakes as fakes for curiosity and perhaps applause at their warning vid?