'Factory seconds'

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Old Codger, May 27, 2011.

1. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but here goes.

I have accumulated enough (about 600) Eagles and Maples, and have started on 10oz Perth Mint bars.

I have been buying from Bullion Bourse, and see that the bars have quite a few 'dents', blemishes and so on. One has the shiny surface coating breaking off. They all weigh OK and have the Perth Mint Mintmark, and 10oz/999 on them. They seem to be about $20 each dearer than the Perth Mint but I buy in lots of less than $5000 to keep it a bit more confidential. (I NEVER trust the 'guvmint'!)

Is the BB just a re-seller from the PM and are they possibly just the 'seconds' from the production line? Are they the same value?

Thanks.

OC

2. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

The quality of bars is the same from the perth mint.

No idea why they are adored on this website to be honest :S They are cheap, you get what you pay for. (And quite shiny).

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Wow that's a mean stack Ole Codger ! Can't help you with the fake bullion question but welcome here anyway.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

The PM bars do have a few marks and dings, some can look a little discouraging however nothing wrong. I have been in the PM got handed a bar asked for another one, same issue, asked for another one again similar not as bad. In the end I gave up and just took it. If you want bars that are perfect I think that is what you pay the premium with PAMP etc... PM bars can be rough but I see no issue. It looks like some pour or drying scar ?

5. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

"shiny surface coating breaking off" ???

Wassup wit dat ??

;) :)

6. Old Codger

Thanks guys.

I have no need for perfection in the production process, just so long as they are recognised and accepted and negotiated at full market price when the SHTF.

I don't want some smarty saying they are seconds, and only worth 80% of spot.

I am aiming for a minimum of 1000 ozs in easily negotiable form before I will rest easy.

OC

7. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Bullion Bourse are fine to do business with.

I have purchased the bulk of my stack through them and never had an issue. They re-sell PM bullion and i dont think that Perth Mint do 'factory seconds' as the bullion that I have purchased over the counter there are identical to that found at Bullion Bourse.

Not fake and not factory seconds. Im sure others around here can vouch for those guys as well!

8. klaten

klaten New Member

Sorry if my previous post appears but for some reason it doesn't appear to be working properly (most certainly user error)
    You'll prolly get some smarty saying that...

Bars are funny things, they are brought, sold, brought and sold again and again!

If the bars you have are not brand new, they may not have had any 'manufacturing' defects but may have been simply mishandled unfortunately. I'm of the same opinon of mickjohn on the reselling part.

I got 3 from Bullionmark and 2 out of the three had minor scratches and stuff. I'm of the thinking they had been pre owned, or dropped or something. The marks I'm looking at must have been caused by something other than a manufacturing glitch.

No skin off my nose. I didn't purchase them for looks They are real easy to mark as well, I accidentally dropped the only real 'good' one I had on my safe deposit box that was open so now there is a nice line mark deep in to the bar. It only dropped 5cm as well. Overall I'm more than happy with them and just wish Bullionmark could obtain some stock so I could buy some more! They are just the right size for sale in the future :)

Ps... Old Codger how's this for a proposition. If your worried I'll buy them off you for 25% below spot as they have defects

Yeah I didn't think you'd sell (don't worry about them champ they'll be fine)

Just relax and be :cool:

9. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

See Steve one of our sponsers for perfect 10oz Silver bars, they are the best and cheapest

10. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep. If you want perfect bars, then get 10 oz Stackers.

I have about 50 available (southern cross) and am taking orders for the official Silver Stackers bars (ding free guaranteed) :)

I'll have some PM 10 oz in stock next week for the "less fussy"

Theses are also available direct from Goldstackers.com (both types) as well as Perth Mint varieties.

Ck.

11. Silvester

Silvester Member

I have a couple of the Southern Cross, and they are very beautiful, but a nice clean Perth Mint bar has it's own down home kind of quirky charm.

I'm waiting on an order of ten 10oz PM bars from BB, I'm thinking that they would have to be brand new shiny bars straight out of the oven after a six week wait! :) Surely...

12. Old Codger

My first two orders for 10oz bars to BB were delivered within about 10 days. The second consignment only took about 6 days from date of order.

The current order for 10 bars is supposed to take a month, so the man said on the phone today.

Another question please,

When the SHTF, what is the best way to go about selling Eagles, Maples and 10oz bars on a one by one basis?

A quiet 'under the counter' cash sale that is.

OC

13. Silvester

Silvester Member

Awesome, only about two weeks to go then. :)

14. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Depends at what stage of SHTF.
    Usually SHTF means everyones already bunkering down and adapting to a self-sufficient lifestyle.

Your stack will mainly turn into your way of gaining goods you cannot barter for with something else you own.
    e.g. You may be out of medicine and need to exchange some amount of silver for it, unless you have something else the other person needs. You would not disclose you have silver to trade until absolutely necessary.

The guys that take this seriously stack ammo, food and own agricultural land.

But without going into further details about the worst outcomes....

If you mean GFC2 (i.e. not quite SHTF, but possibly the trigger), then you can buy/sell privately with members on the forum. If the deal is good someone will want in. It's not always about price either, sometimes it's convenience too. e.g. If you turn up to a meeting with a variety of different coins I'm sure you'll get a better success rate than other means.

15. Old Codger

Thanks for that, very informative.

I am expecting the worst (and I mean WORST!) over the next year or two, it could happen at any time, and pray that I can convert our shares into physical silver before that happens.

CGT is a BIG problem with all that plan so it is a fine balance of costs and benefits.

I am in fact putting aside certain items that are needed by a hungry family and do not cost too much such as 2Kg bags of rice and 900g bags of rolled oats. All in addition to what I believe my wife and I will need over the time frame.

Trading the silver will be the major insurance policy when all else fails, and it should also be the final 'inflation hedge'.

Where does a person barter, not from the front gate I know, but a supermarket car park perhaps? Perhaps over the phone first? What I have on hand to trade will be the minimum for the transaction, you can't trust anybody.

OC

16. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Usually people tend to "select" a spot for certain things in a consensual yet unstated manner.
    e.g. The kids that hang out at a certain place cos they "know" others will too.
    It's a natural process.

A few close-knit communities may form public markets to trade over time.
    It may be at a local park or some other open area.
    It will occur out of need, but some brave people will need to get out there and start it.
    It could be one of us.

Initially I believe everyone will be sceptical and keep to themselves.
    During that initial period we're either on our own or with a close group (family and family friends).

If we want to trade with an outsider, the same rules that apply now would apply then.
    You meet up face to face at an agreed public location and theres no need to disclose any personal information.
    It may be possible to agree to bring an extra person each.

Building trust within a community between all members could be helpful if possible in your situation, but it really depends on each community and the types of people that live there.

When things got out of hand in egypt I heard of small communities that formed groups to patrol their neighbourhoods against thieves.
    If you're fortunate enough to be in a community where town gatherings still happen it could at least allow for safety in numbers.

I stack non-perishables on a regular basis. When the nuclear disaster happened in japan I went out to load up the trolley with cans of tuna.
    I doubt we'll be getting tuna this "clean" for a while. :/

17. Guest

Guest Guest

About 1/4 of my bars bought from the Perth Mint have had dark spots on them, and nearly all are scratched....They are still shinier than most so I love them.

Bullion Bourse have been great and are continuing to be fantastic. I'd rather support small business the the WA gov. Though I still buy from the Perth mint and love buying from the Perth mint.

18. zachary898

zachary898 Member

Scottsdale silver sells 10oz interlockable bars, very good Condition

19. pixha

pixha Member

^^ And the Silverstackers and Southern Cross bars are the same yeh?

20. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I went at the spots with steel wool.
    They clean off easy,without effort.