Face to face trading

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by MetalBug, Feb 4, 2012.

1. MetalBug

MetalBug Member

Looking for some advice on trading face to face with precious metals.

What are some good tips. Locations, handling of money, checking authenticity etc.

Am more interested in public trades as I am sure dealers already have their procedures. But as a seller I am interested in some advice.

Thanks

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

carparks, maccers, crowded places are always good places to trade. for me if a trade exceeds 1k ill usually ask for direct deposit or half cash prior to the trade. everyones different. have done about 15 trades via f2f on here and have never had an issue with fake product etc.

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If your really concerned ,just walk into a bank
    I had to give CK a large wad of cash one day ,we just went straight to a bank where's he deposited the funds

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

While I know the chances of something going wrong are very small, I just don't do F2F anymore.
    I would certainly meet up somewhere busy (bank is best though) and I would also request the other party to comes alone, but then I'm probably too cautious.

5. BullionDollarMan

BullionDollarMan Member Silver Stacker

just out of respect for one another... if you agree to do a F2F... dont bring mates along

6. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unless by prior arrangement.

7. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

I like the coffee shop. They know me and lots of people around. Always met 1 to 1 but I'm male and understand the ladies being a little cautious. Never had a problem.
    Nice people here in Qld. Lol

8. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Whilst i agree re bringing friends. I certainly would have a friend keeping a watch on things from a distance for any really large f2f. My 1st f2f i had this as yeah it felt a bit uncomfy however have now done a few f2f and never any dramas.
    Good idea to f2f with those that have a few trades rather than someone just joined and no feedback.

9. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

^^^ This.
    Also, don't bring along your Misses or Sister (they too fall in the 'mates category'). Inform the person whom you wish to trade with whom you are bringing before hand, not a shock after the fact.

Cafes are my fav place to do all meets.

10. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

I'm not sure you can be too cautious.:cool:

11. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Member THUCY has been my fav to meet up with in Brisbane. Always considerate.
    Let him be the role model we all should look up to.

A balance of being considerate and security conscious - not overly paranoid (like myself). Humbly cautious - the THUCY way.

Many here disagree with that. Had many run ins about the subject of security. When somebody becomes 'too cautious' they tend to fall in the category of being paranoid. Whether that is a good or bad trait still baffles me. :|

12. samoth25

samoth25 Member Silver Stacker

F2F Great fun gives you a taste of the seedier side of life... ie packages and cash changing hands in public places got to wonder what people think

Also in all my cases get to meet great people

13. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Though the Ferrari driver loves the attention, the people looking at the Ferrari driver don't love him.

Envy runs rife within many. Envy if not controlled leads to thieving tendencies. Best to minimize attention from public to avoid envious thoughts.

I want what his got, but I can't afford it - W&F

14. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I've done F2F mostly in public places, especially if member has nil or low feedback.

Nobody really gives 2 shits what you're doing anyway, unless you look like a druggie dressed with a hoodie or something.

15. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

Kids playgrounds are the best location and I always stick to my 3 rules - pack heat, bring backup and only carry cash in a briefcase.

16. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As long as you don't bring a set of scales under street lamps in a deserted back road to weigh a Stamped 10 ounce Perth Mint bar,you should be right.
    And if you do because your worried about the bar being under weightthen please pay the seller those few extra dollars if the bar happens to come in over weightjust as a courtesy.
    :lol:

17. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have found the kids playground counter productive because they usually scatter and run everywhere..They don't know i'm firing blanks :D

18. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Far better not to look like a druggie - the police may confiscate your "ill-gotten" gains!!!

Best to stick to the conservative trench coat with the collar turned up, a hat and a large hulking person (ex-boxer preferably or, if you can get them, ex-Bulgarian intelligence) that waits with a sullen look on their face 15 metres behind you. 007 hidden in the shadows may be considered to be going too far though!

Seriously, I've done f2f in cafes, shopping centres and library foyers. Libraries, particularly early evening, are great. People around but not so many that they're hanging over your shoulder (which is what happened in the shopping centre - rent-a-cop took an interest for some reason)

19. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

^^^ this +1

Nothing more annoying than turning up somewhere for a trade and not having just one person turn up, but two - or even three. If you're going to "gang up" by bringing a friend without disclosing it, don't be surprised if the other party just walks.

20. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Just ask CK,the public library is a great place to pull out a few 1kg Bars and dump em on the table...some great looks from fellow bookworms.....