Expo 2010 Shanghai 3oz silver bar

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Wombat, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Wombat

Wombat Member

G'day all

I have used the search function on this forum, and used my extensive google-fu skills, alas to no avail.
    I received as a gift an Expo 2010 Shanghai China 3oz silver bar. It is 99.9 purity and was produced for the expo. It has all the papers/authenticity etc. The bar itself has pictured on the front a chinese pavillion, with a bunch of fireworks and stuff. On the back has two rows of chinese seal characters. It has the requisite purity markings and weight. It is sealed in plastic case, inside a plastic external bag and all boxed up in a pretty red and brown box.

I'm unable to upload images, assuming because I'm new to these boards.

My question is, is this sort of thing actually worth much as a collector item, or is it pretty much just worth the spot price?

Thankyou

Wombat

2. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

Depends,

If it is produced in enough quantity and people are actually looking for it, then it has more than bullion value (spot). -- A good indication is if it has a currency value (in yuan I presume)

If it is produced as a gift from private mint, or a once off thing without any public acknowledgement of this product, then it's just spot silver. (normally no currency value)

3. Gilligan

Gilligan Active Member

Bump... anyone know anything more on these than the above? I got one through my travels some years back..

4. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

try putting this on the panda forum with a photo. Those guys know a lot about Chinese collectables.

5. Gilligan

Gilligan Active Member

Cheers!