Explain Kangaroos please

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TomD, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TomD

TomD Member

I started to collect Kangaroos about 8-9 years ago but gave them up in favor of cheaper series. The last year that I bought any was 2006. At that time there was one yearly design that came in various forms (gilded, proof, BU, etc). Based on a photo of a Kangaroo at Sunset coin I decided that I want one of those for my photos but, when I looked online, each year seems to have 7 or 8 different kangaroo designs. What's up with that?

BTW: If anyone in the US has an extra "Sunset" and wants to trade, I've got extra 2003's and 2006's.

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Kangaroo at Sunset isn't part of the regular silver Kangaroo series. The design won a competition being run by a European dealer for a "best of" collection and the RAM has turned it into an annual release.

The regular kangaroo series had a marketing overkill thing happening a few years back which seems to have sorted it self out now.

3. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

4. TomD

TomD Member

Those are Kooks, I've got the whole set of those. I was asking about Kangaroos.

Just scanned ebay for 2011's and found four different Kangaroo images for the year. The sunset, two totally different images and a variation of one of the images for "Celebrating Western Australia". So if you wanted to collect the set yearly, you would have to buy at least four hyper premium coins every year? That would make it hard to keep up. I've got a number of coins series that I try to keep at least one set of the 1 oz BU coins, glad they don't all do that. Maybe they do, how many permutations on the dragons? At least they all have the same image.

Anyway, I'm a photographer and I'm looking forward to shooting the Sunset coin.

5. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes this series from the RAM is still being produced, with very little change.
    The last 3 years have been wallabies rather than kangaroos, but still the same series.
    There is now (2012) just a silver carded BU and a cased proof - only 2 coins.

The gilded versions only went from 2003 to 2009 and were then dropped.
    They went off the rails between 2007 and 2009 and tried to sell a cu/ni carded coin, but the market didn't want it.
    There are a limited number of silver carded 2007s that now command a very high premium, as do the silver carded 2008s.
    Be VERY careful buying the carded coins between 2007 and 2009 - make sure the title on the card includes the word SILVER.

Of course, there is nothing to stop other coins having kangaroos on them, so the other coins you are finding are just different ones from different series or mints.
    The RAM has produced a number of different silver 'sunset' coins, starting in 2009. There are 1oz versions and now also 1/5oz versions.
    The Perth Mint has also started making silver kangaroo proofs using the image from their gold kangaroos each year, called 'high relief'.
    None of these are part of the original RAM roo series.

Hope this helps.

6. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The kangaroo @ sunset silver coins only have a mintage of 5,000 coins hence the RAM put their price up to numismatic levels, much like the Perth Mint do for their collector coins.

The RAM had been pricing their Kangaroos the last couple of years around the $50 mark but have gotten greedy and the 2012 release price is $87.

The RAM had claimed that this $87 price was due to the rising silver price..... I wonder if they will now drop it to like a $40 coin?

In any event, I have the kangaroo series from 1993 but its ended for me in 2011 as I'm not paying $87 for a carded Roo when silver is about $28 an oz - they lost me as a customer.

7. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

If you know where to go, you can still pick up 2012 kangaroo series coins for 2011 prices. $50 and $65? For BU and Proof respectively.

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Not possible as far as I am aware - unless you have special access to a dealer - care to share ??
    The post office was initially selling the carded roos for $60 (that was initially going to be the RRP), but they have now updated their price to $87.

9. Melty

Melty New Member Silver Stacker

i know where you went

is it a secret not to say the place here?

but they did up the price since then.

10. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Ditto for me, have been thinking of offloading the roos recently as i know it is just one of my many collections that i didn't get around to finishing.