Exclusive to silverstackers electron microscope images of white spot

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by bron suchecki, Jan 7, 2015.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Standard practice at most mints. Reduces die contamination mostly.

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Or blasting micro particles into the metal...

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Lots of laughs! Next will be moles planted to contaminate competetors metal, numismatic espionage .....
    Thanks for the insight

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

The pictures seem like different kinds of contamination on each one , it would be interesting to know what dates and type of coins these were taken from.

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

That should be the straw to break the camels back, the fact they are bad value for money and are likely to vastly devalue in the short, medium and long term.. So to that effect could not be considered a predunt investment.. Or an investment

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I'd agree if they get riddled with spots. If they remain pristine for the life of the coin, then I think it is a worthy investment. All I know is they better fix the problem and fast. I know I'm not buying any more PM stuff until I have some certainty that this problem is solved.

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Its still a good investment, Remember the coins with white spot problems are few with Perth Mint , Chinese, German ect. , they seem to run in bad batches but most of these coins are pristine condition . OHH at least until you start looking at 100000 magnification

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Nice thought silverstar ! this is the kind of thing im talking about . Have they changed the style of water traps on the compressors ?or still cleaning the traps out at the same intervals as before they upped production ?(Would need to be cleared/cleaned at more regular intervals) is there a build up of debri in the air lines ? Maybe need flushing/cleaning ? who knows we're all just guessing hopefully one will be a lucky guess.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

And yet, many sellers are making a very sweet profit on some high graded modern numismatic coins. Just goes to show that numismatic coins can be a good investment if you know what you are doing.

10. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

I can get the spots off without scratching the coin but it also removes the silver gilt :( so doesn't really solve the problem but what it does prove is its a surface problem, did this with some RCM coins got the spots off but also the gilt.

so onwards we'll move :)

11. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Id agree some are, yet they would be the minority. Like any market a savvy sophisticated investor can make money despite the odds being against them. Modern value added low mintage coins are hardly numismatic, it seems the meaning has been lost, much like the true meaning of inflation.

12. mmissinglink

Yes, "numismatic" has been used by the Perth Mint and some other mints, some coin collectors, and plenty of stackers to mean modern collector (coins that are not bullion coins but designed as collector coins) coins. "Numismatic" no longer means old, circulated money...but that definition was not a good definition anyway so I welcome a better definition and I think the way "numismatic" (and "semi-numismatic") is increasingly used today (to describe namely where a coin's value comes from or as Wikipedia describes, [numismatic value] "...refer(s) to the value in excess of the monetary value conferred by law, which is known as the "collector value." ) is a better way of defining "numismatic".

So I'm definitely going with the current, modern way the term numismatic (and semi-numismatic) is used. By that definition the Big Ben 100 Pound bullion coin which costs 100 Pounds to buy is not a numismatic or semi-numismatic coin.

13. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

You guys had some really good questions and there is obviously some cluey stackers out there. I passed them on to our Chemist/Metallurgist and he'd like to answer them but he said he can't really say much without describing our processes and giving away our trade secrets (which means some of you had some really insightful observations). So apologies for his "unhelpfully vague" response below:

"The microscope images have varying magnification, but as a reference point the inclusion in image 2 is 10 m across. The formation of AgCl requires both silver and chloride to be present, once one of these has been consumed the reaction stops. Past inclusions have not always been compositionally the same. All of our processes are being looked at to determine what has changed recently to cause the issues we are experiencing."

14. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Having worked in the water purification industry for a number of years my money is on a water borne contaminant.

You would be amazed at the amount of heavy metals dumped in our supplies to provide "clean drink water" (I would prefer clearish looking as a more apt term). Sodium Flouride - a waste product from industry banned from being dumped/buried is now being sold as good for us and added to water supplies (PS its Calcium Flouride which is the good fluoride for bones, teeth, etc).
    Aluminium sulfate, iron and magnesium are used as flocculants to settle sediment to the bottom of water supplies...etc.etc. The dosages used vary council to council and even these are a lot of the time done by eye.

Heavy metals can only be removed from water via reverse osmosis.

All in all Im glad its being investigated and wish you well in eliminating the issue.

15. mmissinglink

Great info StoicPhoenix...I have a strong suspicion that you are right about the problem of the heavy metals in the water supply being the root of the problem. The good news, if you are correct, is that this problem can be prevented by measures that the mint takes.

I agree with those who have stated publicly here in the forum and in private to me that it doesn't make sense to buy higher premium silver coins which come from mints that have not addressed the problem of the milk spots and instead to buy low premium bullion coins like American Silver Eagles or 90% silver coins or whatever the low cost / low premium coins available to you in your region. After all, the reason I would want to pay a high premium is because I am expecting to receive higher quality silver coins for that higher premium paid. If these higher cost coins are going to develop spots, I am not going to buy them.

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I wonder if reverse osmosis or distilled water would cause this problem...they are probably using regular water, and as I mentioned in an earlier post. I've used a distiller, and I can tell you, 'clear water' goes in, and after several jugs of distilled water, the crud, sand, and metals left behind is nasty. I can't remember the last time I've drank tap water. No thanks. I'd have imagine this has something to do with why spots are happening.

Oh, and for the record, I've gone back to buying eagles. I got rid of a few thousand of them almost 2 years ago...but now with spot so low, AND, more importantly, this issue of white spots being a problem for PM mint HIGH/HIGHER premium coins, I've gone back to stacking eagles. Until I know they have a handle on it, I'm not buying PM coins. Sorry Bron & team. HOWEVER, thanks for being transparent, and being determined to correct the problem. But I can't lose money in my investment of coins. The premium of a lunar goat is like 12.00 over spot vs. a few bucks for other govt issued coins...to me, it's not worth the chance of having that 12.00 get wiped out due to spots.

17. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Bron, so when are you going to fix the coin reverse? It appears an old irrelevant women has made her way onto the back.. :)

I think RNT suggested Gough Whitlam instead :) :)

18. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bron the silver part we get but chloride ? I presumed you are using de-ionised water as tap water has plenty chloride ions. You know the basic experiment of adding silver nitrate to tap water tuns a clear liquid milky as insoluble silver chloride. I have no doubt at all that this is the problem, no particulate or heavy metal issue, simply silver chloride precipitate. We also know the photosensitive nature of silver chloride and that must explain the time delay. Clearly, future production is an issue to be resolved by the PM manufacturing but most of the SS members are interested in a solution to the many damaged PM and other coins they hold. If the PM was selling Lunar coins or Kookaburras at spot+ few dollars as does the Royal Canadian mint for their maples, people would be more understanding - a simple bullion product. But large premiums imply superior product and spots all over my coins is not equivalent to a superior product. I am certainly unimpressed by the spots all over my 1/2 kg PM Ox !!! My observation was the 2009 was a particularly bad year for the spot problem... I think people need an explanation with some resolution. Otherwise I agree with the feeling of SS moving back to bars or cheaper bullion products.

[​IMG]

19. Flash-as

Flash-as New Member

Are the nozzles or whatever is used to wash the coins metal or plastic?

Just wondering if the water passes through metal pipes if they may have corrosion/calcium deposits inside after the filters?

(I am totally new to stacking so please ignore if I am way off) :)

20. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When did the problems begin occuring?