Eric Sprott sells his Silver Trust units

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jing, May 3, 2011.

1. Jing

Jing Member Silver Stacker

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-sells-his-silver-trust-units/article2006755/

and his response:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ends-selling-his-silver-units/article2007195/

After a post this morning highlighted that Eric Sprott has sold about $34-million worth of units in his Sprott Physical Silver Trust (PHS.U-T19.48-2.17-10.02%), he wants to make it absolutely clear that he isn't turning his back on the metal.

"We haven't lost our enthusiasm for silver," he told me Monday afternoon.

So why the sales? "Every dollar of money that was raised by selling shares of [the Trust]... was reinvested in silver or silver equities," he said.

While silver's (SI-FT45.22-0.86-1.87%) price per ounce has soared in recent months, "silver shares have not done as well, which is almost shocking in a way, and it looked like there were opportunities in either getting some premium on PSLV shares and buying silver or buying silver equities." The sales were made at an average price of about $21, up from their $10 IPO price about six months ago.

But that doesn't mean Mr. Sprott is abandoning his trust. He says he still holds around 25 per cent of the total trust units between his funds and his charitable foundation.

As for future public offerings following the IPO, he says he is sticking to a promise he has already made. "There will not be an offering that negatively impacts the premium on the PSLV," he said.

2. trader10

trader10 Member

That would make sense to convert the units into physical.... but, I'm not sure if I would be very happy if I was in that investing in that fund and found out that he had sold big.....

Mind you, he still have 25%.

Interesting thou