Electrum questions & Multi-crypto wallets?

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by VRS, Nov 23, 2013.

1. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm using Electrum - lightweight remote server wallet that allocates address on signup - so far so good

4 questions -

a. why have I got 5 different 'Receiving' addresses?
    b. why have I got 3 different 'Change' addresses?
    c. why isn't everyone using remote server wallets instead of the ballache of BitcoinQT & blockchain?
    d. are there any remote multiwallet services that I can consolidate different types of cc's all in one place, ie use as a transaction centre for everything? By that I mean btc, ltc, peercoin, namecoin, feathercoin, devcoin, worldcoin, cryptogenicbullion, infinitecoin, anoncoin etc - If not, why not (sorry if that's a stoopid question!)?

TIA
    VRS ;)

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You edited you're post VRS grrrrrr :lol:

Good questions VRS.

I can answer (c), I intend to use Electrum for personal and Bitcoin-QT for work as that wallet is compatible with the merchant service we have selected.

I have a question to add:

Is Electrum only for use with BTC?

3. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, for now.

Seems not to be such a huge leap to put something together that'd allow a user to get a summary of all holdings across a range of cc's?

4. beeteecee

beeteecee New Member Silver Stacker

A: Privacy & convenience I suppose. Say you were doing some trades on here and gave everyone the same address to pay to. All parties could see all the transactions. If you had done a trade with Bob first, he would know your address. If I came into your thread and buzzed at 8pm. Bob could reasonably assume that the payment going to your address at 8:10pm was mine, and would then know my address, even though I had nothing to do with Bob.

B: Because you just started. As you make more transactions, it will need to make more change addresses so the old ones don't get re-used. You may end up with a fair old whack of change addresses if you actually use your btc to pay for things etc.

C: Bitcoin is a very security conscious type of crowd generally. Bitcoin-qt is the original client, created originally by the famed Satoshi. Think of it as the trusted, bulletproof reference client. It uses the blockchain directly so it doesn't rely on servers in the way Electrum does. From what I understand of Electrum, it's still pretty safe using it despite the server aspect.

D: Too complicated and confusing to handle the logistics and security and interaction between the varieties.

Good luck in cryptoland VRS :)