Effect of toning on premiums

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Coin King, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Coin King

Coin King Member

Hi i'm new on here but have been buying silver for a couple of years and a couple of the older coins have started to tone even though i try and keep them fairly airtite by replacing the capsules when damaged. Now everyone knows what milk spots mean to premiums, but what does toning do to say older lunar coins and others with decent premiums. And are there certains materials that really set it off. Thanks Coin King:)

2. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

In my experience (not long) toning can loose you premium on most Bullion coins because just about all are expecting to buy unmarked coins.

Some coin collectors like toning and pay a higher premium for nicely toned coins and some years coins had batches that all toned.

I purchase some toned silver eagles when I was making a full set and it didnt bother me because I dont intend to sell them but many people buy more of one coin type purely to sell on to others with secondary higher premium.

Watching sales between members on this forum over a few years usually results in a lower price for toned coins unless they are sought after coins.

With silver coins beauty is really in the eyes of the buyer not the seller. :)

3. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

nice and shiny is best!

4. Coin King

Coin King Member

Thanks for the info, yeah it is a bit frustrating pulling sets out of storage and seeing a couple of the early coin toned or (milk spotted). I like to my coins shiny and new but i guess that is a bit of a gamble when buying silver semi-numismatics.

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im very new too, and learning little more, I am not that concerned though and think it is just one of those things about buying silver.

I might not be happy about it of course since the chances are I will lose premium but as their are no coins that is "known" to develop toning what can you do.

Unlike milk spots, where we can stop buying some coins from mints that almost guaranteed them like Royal Canadian Mint coins.

I have one lunar mouse that started to develop a purple edge, was alarmed at first but now I'm interested in what will happened to it.

Luckily toning seems to be much more hit and miss.

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the forum CoinKing.

Personally I am not a fan of toned coins. On very rare exception, I have seen a lovely rainbow toned coin but most color toning in my view is not pleasing.

What's the value of a toned coin? It really depends on who you ask but to me, it's a loss of value in most cases. If you find the right buyer though, you can unload toned coins for an appreciated value.

Best of luck with them.

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I agree, unless you take care of the semi and Numi coins, and put them in a cool, dry place with lots of stuff to protect them (containers, vaccum sealed, moisture absorbers, etc...), I think the chances are pretty good you'll have some issue with them...in time. I don't know know how those 1800's Morgan's hold up so well. Amazing. Anything from 1980's and beyond, no guarantee that they won't develop WSD.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

"WSD"....Weapons of Silver Destruction?

[​IMG]

9. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Great attitude and i wish more people thought like this.
    I love being able to get someone to drop their price on silver just because it does not look pretty.
    Silver is silver if you are buying and selling by spot of the day:)

10. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

There is a pretty vibrant market for toned Silver Eagles. Now, it totally depends on the toning and how it looks on the coin. As a general rule, I always charge more for attractively toned coins and am always actively look for nice examples of all types of coins due to the customer base I serve.

I also like the fact that no two are exactly alike....If all one wants is a perfect nice shiny 1986 silver eagle then basically they are all the same. Finding toned examples though you can have many varieties of the same coin that each have a uniqueness about them. It adds a depth to the hobby that is intriguing and fun.

Don't confuse tone with spots though. Spots = bad.