Eerie comparisons to the crash of 2008

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by finicky, Jun 23, 2012.

1. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I always give the Aden Sisters a brief scan when I come across their intuitions. It's that funny old picking up on detail that makes their side good at home decoration, jewellery, and administrative work I guess. Occasionally a kernel or so of worth can be threshed from the chaff of their funny cogitations ...

Their commentary here could be an intimation of events that will pull our own ASX down to the 3,600 - 3,300 area that Garry Glover predicts from his T/A. They all share the same idea that probably all this is a continuation of a bear market that began in 2007

Eerie comparisons to the crash of 2008

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) When a top letter says that the "similarities to 2008 are becoming almost eerie, you just have to pay attention.
    June 18, 2012|Peter Brimelow, MarketWatch

"Aside from short-term ups and downs, which are normal, it looks like stocks are headed lower, as well as the currencies. Bonds and the U.S. dollar are the safe havens, and along with gold, they'll all likely rise further. This tells us the world economy is in trouble. Since many of these markets lead the economy, they're signaling a recession is probably coming unless the Fed takes strong action to stimulate the economy...very soon. A financial shock has also become more probable.

"Increasingly, the similarities to 2008 are becoming almost eerie. We may be wrong, but the markets are poised for this and while we don't know what the trigger will be, it could be almost anything. "

"Currently, our gut feel is that if an accident is coming, it'll likely happen this year. Again, it could be a wild card. One example is the explosion of the derivatives markets. The popularity of derivatives has skyrocketed within the financial industry. In the past 12 years, derivatives have grown 10 times faster than world GDP to the tune of $200 trillion for U.S. banks, which is three times the world's GDP! This is a reckless accident waiting to happen and J.P. Morgan's $2 billion loss this month may have been the tip of the iceberg."

"Highly probable is the likelihood that the crisis in 2007-08 remains in process. It never ended."Oh sure, it was temporarily postponed by all of the Fed's stimulus but now it's continuing on its way as the major trend exerts itself."

Aden Sisters still think stocks rule - That's why the Adens's new bearishness is significant.

"An upcoming QE3 program could temporarily save the day and if it does, we'll then change our position. But for now, we'll let the market do the talking and it's saying to stay out."

Perhaps ominously in view of the Greek election, they added:

"The markets are primarily focused on Europe. And as long as that's the case the U.S. is the safe haven."The Adens currently recommend asset allocations of 20% cash, 40% precious metal vehicles, 40% long term US government bonds"

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-06-18/commentary/32287296_1_stock-market-gold-bugs-derivatives

http://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/ar...fternoon_Investor_23_05_2012&utm_medium=email

2. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If this time we going to have a crash like 2008, i will clean up my single cents in saving and change them to PMs.

3. EJAM5

EJAM5 Active Member

London/Beijing Olympics - for world entertainment
    US Election - for world politics
    Syria/Georgia(Russia) - for conflict/war
    DOW drops 200+points, 1 of 2 or 3 down legs to come
    Macquarie/Babcock - Trading halts on investment banks
    OpenInterest on bluechip OTM put options getting higher n higher
    ...eerie indeed.
    (Be prepared...my view anyway)

4. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker