Ebay Trap - Selling NON silver bullion in the silver catagory BISMUTH

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by 1for1, Oct 18, 2013.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I just got stung by accidentally bidding and winning this Pure BISMUTH SPM Bullion Hand Poured Ingot

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261304487557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Appearance: "Lustrous Silver"

I was using the search term "silver" in the coins category and this 3oz'er should up.. I assumed bismuth was the brand.. but no its a type of dodgy alloy with some base metal.. tin I think..

Just a dodgy way of ripping people off by the looks ... heads up guys.

This low-life is selling all our favourite types of fake silver "Tibetan" etc.. this one was new to me.

Don't worry I wont be paying.. hahaha

1for1

2. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

That seller is well known for clad products, although most are accurately described .The story makes people go ahead once they realise their mistake

3. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

The actual listing is accurate and doesn't say its solid Silver, (in fact its claimed as 99.9% Pure Bismuth)
    but the seller has listed Bismuth and Titanium coins in the "Precious Solid Silver/Gold" store category alongside
    some 999 silver so I can see how people will be fooled.
    This should be enough to argue for sale cancellation.

4. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Actually Yeah That seller and Furbykathy123 are rip offs, one is shill of other i think as most of the feedback is between them, I made a complaint after I was sold Mills silver mislabeled. I went nuts on her feed back increasing every time i was offered chance to change it as I was defaming, LoL... In end I threatened to buy similar products and sell them at what they are worth, She then refunded me... Yay!!! still it's a shitty situation but ebay only cares about fees

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a cast bar of lead if you want it.

6. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well I have about 20kg of snapper leads, going cheap :lol:

7. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

You are at fault its clearly labelled bismuth there doesnt appear to be anything wrong that that ad. I hope you get bad feedback. Bismuth is not an alloy its a base metal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth

8. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

you never got stung the fact is you can not read right

as for saying it was in the silver section again you only saw what you wanted to see

it says

coins - bullion -other metal

coins -bullion -silver - other

just man up and say i f#cked up

9. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Put it on ebay in the silver section and state condition as lustrous silver.. some half asleep idiot will probably bid on it!

:)

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Sure I made a fault in bidding on it.. I worked that out as soon as I re-read the auction.

RE: never got stung - do you mean because I have not paid yet? as paying $60 odd dollars for a 50c worth of metal would be getting stung....

RE: coins -bullion -silver - other LOL - yes exactly he put it in two cats.. one was silver!

I posted this to prevent others from making the same mistake.. not sure how telling everyone about my mistake by posting it in a public thread could be misconstrued any other way but there you go.

11. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

yes , you made a fault bidding on it, because you did not read it right the first time

so why is it his fault , so pay the man

as for the two cats he put it in ,i believe he was trying to let bidders know it was some other form of metal, again, coins -silver- other,other being the ( warning signs )and not silver

so why is he dodgy seller , just because you can not read

12. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone familar with a periodic table of elements knows bismuth isn't silver. The seller also describes the difference between silver and bismuth in the listing.

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It was really shiny when it was packaged up. That's what drew me to the stall in the market.

I guess they woud notice when the postage is $50 because it is so heavy! :D

14. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

'I assumed bismuth was the brand' LMFAO!?!?

Where DID you go to school fella?!?!?

The seller hasn't done anything wrong because what she's selling is SPM (brand or similar I presume) bismuth and clearly NOT silver. She isn't a 'dodgy lowlife' at all - she's well established & legit.

There are loads of people selling other metal bars, rounds, lumps & chunks of everything from tin to copper thru niobium to gallium mate - it's just a different area of metals.

Personally I'd have contacted the seller and explained my error (silver is a colour too mate?) and ask to cancel - s'no big deal ;)

The ad states:

//////////////

3 OZ 99.9% Pure BISMUTH SPM Bullion Hand Poured "Chunks Style"Ingot (Great Investment for the Future). As you can see in the pictures the mold was made too big so These ingots are well over 3 Troy oz as an example this one is 4.30 (they will all vary) Bismuth is also a brittle metal so when they are stamped cracks will appear in the ingot. (Each ingot will most likely have a crack in it) These ingots make awesome Christmas or Birthday presents and are fun to collect and are very sought after, As Silver and Bismuth gains in value so will these awesome ingots continually gain in Value, Enjoy the infectious habit of collecting Ingots.

Bismuth has a lustrous Silver appearance and is a Post-Transitional Metal and has long been considered as the element with the highest atomic mass that is stable and non toxic. Bismuth is a by product of Silver and Tin. It has a low melting point of 271 Deg C or 520 Deg F. Bismuth is used to replace many toxic lead applications, is used in medicine, cosmetics, ammunition's and many electrical components. Bismuth is the metal of the future.

///////////////

(About 2 years ago didn't we have this guy turn up on SS who was wildly crazily trying to sell bars of tin, bismuth, molybdenum, copper to everyone? Any one else remember that? Then on April 1st last year Silver Stackers became 'Bismuth Stackers' for a day lol!)

15. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

Ship it to me bullet casting is a hobby that I enjoy when I have the spare time to do it.

16. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I fail to see how it's the sellers fault that you didn't read the decription?

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Funny the final price was about 3 oz of silver. think that was another reason.. i put my gaurd down as id refined the search to silver.. must .com that makes this requirem of pure.

id never seen this metal before.. i have most of the other type of bass metal bullion so yes if i knew it was clearly this would not of happend.

guess i was mad dumb.. i think ill stop the last minute ebay purchases.

1for1

18. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

I can't believe the bashing. Are you serious guys? Even VRS? Or is it just 1for1 hating?

Those listings are an obvious scam. Carefully worded not to get pulled down or to give a refund.

What shits me is when I search coins/bullion I refine the search asking for silver/gold/platinum and all kind of those bismuth bullion and copper rounds appear.
    So many that my thumb hurts from all the scrolling I have to do.
    Obviously eBay only cares about the fees and we blame the victim. While bismuth sellers are only doing it on behalf of the company in China, as one of them told us here recently. /sarcasm

19. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

Seller shouldn't put it in Silver category then, as it has nothing to do with silver.
    If they did that I'd have no problems with such sellers.