Easy buying in Ebay from Europe is over, pity

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Dutch Silver Bullion Collector, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

Ebay is offering recently almost on every offer standard "Customs services and international tracing offered" outside Europe.
    So every time i buy something from America or so i have to pay a significantly procentage extra for just one or two coins that it is not affordable anymore.
    Stupid rule they offer seller, i had to let get several nice coinbids because of the extra custom service i automaticly have to pay.

I now search for coins only with standard transport without the item customs service attached to it and these offers are getting lesser and lesser;
    I think it's a very bad development for buyers and sellers, i buy much less outside Europe now..

With other words Ebay is ruining itself with this kind of services

Does anybody a good auction side for buyers out of Europe!!

2. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

Ebay has no business to collect customs duty on behalf of foreign governments. Plain & simple. I say let's boycott sellers who opt for such a service.

3. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

silverstackers.com xD

But why buy outside of Europe? Avoid VAT? Isn't there an easier and probably cheaper way? Like buying legal tender silver? You know paypal/ebay have fees around 13%? With the fee included into price, that is almost 15% over the real value of the item in fees. And then there is postage ontop of that... are you really saving money buying like this?

4. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

The standard coins are available in Europe, but i'm a collector and many scarce coin are not available in Europe, more in Amerika, Canada and Australia. I think Jazzy is right we have to avoid the sellers who use it, so they stop offering it. But many very nice coins i would like to buy are getting gone now :(

5. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

Surely local coin dealers have world coins? Have you even called around to check?

6. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

I do not mean the normal mass bullion collector coins, and no the nice and rare coins are not Europe available or hard to get to a much too high pricing..

Interesting thing is that you if you click on the information button on Ebay, you go to a website of Paypal, a little entanglement of interests :cool::cool:

7. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

Some of the problems are with the sellers labeling bullion as coins as well.
    Here in Canada, same problem, the minute the seller labels bullion under coin, it automatically puts it into a category that calculates import duties.
    I understand sellers wishing to reach the greatest amount of buyers, but they are also killing their own sales as well.

Ebay doesn't collect the fees, what happens is the checkout address is not given to the seller as your personal address, it automatically has the seller send the item to a third party clearing house, "broker" which then re-addresses the item with the customs paperwork and forwards the item on to the buyer

8. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

PayPal is a subsidiary of ebay or eBay owns PayPal....something like that.

10. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Ebay bought paypal. One and the same now.

As an ebay seller (not silver), I can tell you I absorbed ebay and paypal fees, not the buyers.

If you think your local brick and mortar shop, or internet dealer does not have 13% overhead, passed on to the buyer very directly, as well as shipping costs, you don't understand how business works.

I agree with many other things, but on these points, not a chance.

11. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I understand what you are talking about, if you contact the seller and point out you don't want to pay for the coin/coins through the global postage system and pay VAT upfront, most of them will send the coins by ordinary signed for.

12. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

VAT certainly does suck for us collectors/stackers in Europe.

13. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

So as a potential seller in the US who wants to save his buyers some money without costing himself extra, what are you all recommending? Are you saying list all silver sales as bullion and don't use the Global Shipping Program? Assume that means you want to seller to go to the local post office, fill out the paper work, get actual shipping cost. What should the item then be listed as on the customs paperwork? I have not done this before so that is why I am asking, trying to understand your situation.

14. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

i usually ask the seller to transport one or two coins as a gift so it's not expensive to transport forn outside europe. If tax is added it is not atractive at all to buy in the US, Canada of Australia..

15. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I have shipped worldwide using ---gift---"collectible"--$45 value with no issues

16. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Most people send to me as "metal discs".

Well it's not a lie!!!!

17. motorbikez

Surely you can look on line for price to post outside the US, you can put numismatic collectors item, just don't mention silver specifically. If its a low value coin say under $40 UK customs don't usually bother with it, although legally they can slap VAT on any coin worth more than 15 in practice they don't very often.

18. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought eBay was forcing sellers to use the expensive tracking postage, otherwise if the item goes missing eBay will not cover the losses, or something like that. I just tend to buy more than one coin at a time, or go without.

19. motorbikez

Not in Europe they don't nor Australia, it seems to be an American problem I've noticed more and more US sellers using or being conned into using the global postgage programme. I for 1 will not buy if the seller uses this method. i'm not paying our government anything up front.

20. picturefun

picturefun Member

Actually, for U.S. sellers, we do not even know whether the global package is tracked or not. Ebay does not charge us anything extra. However, they do not tell us who sell silver coins, that Ebay global shipping does NOT cover silver coins or currency or other precious metals, so in case of missing, seller/buyer are out in the cold. Ebay is a scam. And they make global shipping as default. After I called them, I know silver coins is not covered, so I opted out global shipping.