Dull finish florin

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Deebsotronic, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Deebsotronic

Deebsotronic Member Silver Stacker

Hi Stackers,

I'm hoping someone out there can enlighten me as to what I have :D
    I got bored the other day and thought I would clean some coins. It all went swimmingly except for a 1963 Florin that seems to have a very dull finish (pics of the coin below).

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/2355_proof.jpg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/2355_proof1.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Can anyone tell me what may have happened to this coin to give it such a dull all over finish? I don't think it was part of how I cleaned them as all the rest came up exceptionally well - below is a comparison of how the others came up.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/2355_proof2.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

I realise that the comparison coin is a pre 46 and the other is a post 46, but it was the closest one I could find to show a comparison.

Has any one seen this effect before? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated :)

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just amateur comment from me Deebs, but I got a similar result when cleaning 1966 rounds. I used advice from here on this forum. Smashing result with everything but a group from an ebay seller who had used some unknown cleaning agent. So after using the cloudy ammonia that was so successful with all the other coins I applied bicarb of soda to the stubborn coins just by rubbing on with thumb, combining with wetting from cloudy ammonia. Never came perfect, but much improved from just the cloudy ammonia wash. Also used toothbrush with same ingredients.

3. Deebsotronic

Deebsotronic Member Silver Stacker

Thanks finicky,

I should have also said that the process I used to clean them was soaking in white vinegar for 10 minutes then rubbing bicarb soda over them with my thumb.

The one with the dull finish I did this way twice, but the second time was no improvement.

4. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ok, so definitely try cloudy ammonia ( from any supermarket) - it's ace.

5. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Better to leave your pre-46 coins as they are. Cleaning dramatically detracts from their potential numismatic value. Toothpaste works good after the cloudy ammonia trick if you prefer them shiny.