Drilled Perth Mint and PAMP bars?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by yennus, May 9, 2013.

1. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

So are you saying Bron, every bar sent out of the Perth mint is a newly made bar? You don't buy back and resell old bars at all?

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

If you want a shiny kilo of silver then why not get kilo coins ?

Just checked on goldstackers and a kilo koala costs $10 more than a kilo bar and a kilo kook or snake is only $30 more.
    Why anybody would pay a premium for a kilo bar is beyond me.

Now if somebody put drill holes in a kilo coin, however, I would be pissed

3. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've never had a kilo coin in hand but I would imagine it would be a lot more bulky than a kilo bar.
    I think this is one of the reasons why many go with the bars.
    But I see your reasoning here.

4. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

We only resell our own bars that we have bought back but they have to be in as new condition otherwise they are melted.

I don't think we would buyback a drilled bar as that would be under weight, but if we did it would be melted.

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Does it weigh 1000 grams or the essayed amount.. If so then I care not, if its under then its worth less, not rocket science.. Too many pretty pussies meow

1for1

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1+1

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So why don't you re-sell the coins like you guys use to do?

This comment of your's bron just goes to show that the operational procedures are fly by the night BS.

There's many stackers who deal directly from The Perth Mint because they consider that the bars that they buy were produced by The Perth Mint; ie hot out of the refinery.

So, we are buying / paying for bars that are not "mint" (Not new) quality, we are getting second hand bars!

There's no where on your Bullion Site that indicates Perth are selling second hand bars!
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Bars/All-Silver-Bars.aspx

Thanks for your info.

H

8. Holdfast

For Bron Suchecki

Bron, when I buy a Perth Mint silver bar, I'm expecting to buy a new bar from the mint not second-hand!

Are gold bars the same????? :|

Part of the price I pay, includes manufacturing that silver bar and...for you to palm off a second-hand bar's is not ethical or indeed what a consumer pays for.

Sure, you think it's ok because, you don't have a manufacturing cost for that second-hand bar, you save money!

Manufacturing cost bron!

Second hand by Perth = 0 manufacturing cost!

Here's what your web-site says about Silver Bars: "Nothing about second hand"

[​IMG]
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Bars/10oz.aspx?size=22

[​IMG]
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Bars/1kg.aspx?size=27

[​IMG]
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Bars/100oz.aspx?size=25

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

You do know that the bullion website and the bullion counter are separate business units, right? I'm sure Bron is referring to over-the-counter bullion sales.

If they didn't resell buy back bars, I would never have scored ten of the old flat style 10oz bars last time I was there. Bullion is supposed to be bullion.

I'm pretty sure that the coin resale policy was the result of excessive demands on staff time above and beyond normal sales with people wanting to inspect old coins, picking through them etc, rejecting ones they weren't happy with etc, as opposed to people walking up saying "ten 1oz silver coins please". Abuse of the buy back availability led to it being canned.

I do wish though that they would put some "real life" bar pics on the website rather than the airbrushed examples - the amount of grief that cast bar finish on Perth Mint products causes because "they don't look like the ones on the mint's website" is ridiculous.

10. Holdfast

Hopefully Bron can clarify Perth's position with regard to re-selling, silver and perhaps...gold bars, regardless if they are over the counter, phone orders or via The Perth Mint Bullion web-site.

Cheers

H

11. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

I Agree.

Like buying a Big Mac from the ad.

12. bron suchecki

My comments are with regards to the shop, not online, which just sells new bars.

Shop was selling old coins back but it was abused including people buying the old coins and putting in new packaging.

I wasn't aware that other dealers were selling bought back bars at lower prices compared to "new" bars, when there is no effective difference between them.

13. bron suchecki

And I have suggested to online to drop the fancy pics and run with realistic ones.

14. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Well it's the same amount of silver so only the capsule makes it bulkier than a plain bar.

But true, they do not 'stack' as well as rectangular bars so definitely take up much more space in a safety deposit box.

But if you are stacking bars on top of each other in the raw, they will get scratched, marked and dented anyway

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Boxes of 10oz and kilo bars turn up pre-scratched because they are packaged metal to metal - nothing stops them rubbing during transit, they always show wear marks fresh from the box. PAMP know how to package kilo bars - it's a shame we don't have a comparable domestic packaged product.

16. Holdfast

New customers want a quality product; it's easy for "Mints" and older folk to say scratched and bunged up is ok but if a bloke wants to re-sell bars on ebay or elsewhere, buyers will buy the best presented silver bar.

If two bars are for sale, with the same price and same postage the best looking bar wins!

So...unlike years of tradition of just going through the motions, you guys both at the Mint and as wholeslaers need to realise that things are-a-changing.

I mentioned about Canada's purity (Some time ago) of their silver and got laughed at... so be it, but Mint's are in competition with each other and...it' takes men with forward thinking that will make their mint the "eye" of the beholder!

Often in life, it's easy to sit on ones arse and flow with the times...we see this with the seniors who have those cushy jobs that can't be budged with a crow bar, "but" to really get on with the job, and to really do things, to really make a name for your self, and for your organization and "Country" it takes young men like Bron to sit back, pause and think from the consumer side.

Perth has fantastic products, we want you to get down to the nitty-gritty, away from all the old farts so that you can plan what to do.
    Get a think tank going without the old cruds and piss-pots!

FFS, write some SOP's, get some standardization going and a frigging lot of continuity!

Your bars are just the start, look at the coins, listen to the secondary market because your wholesalers are set in their ways.

Perth have great products...let us buy them.

H

17. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Exactly!

I have not seen a new 10oz Perth mint from a retail dealer that is unscratched. I am also of the opinion that it is the uneven shape of the bar and how they are packaged and transported that causes it to scratch so easy. Perth mint really should take a leaf out of the other minters books and do a bar that is firstly wrapped in plastic to preserve the finish and also shaped to be totally flat so that it stacks quite easily without having them rubbing and causing abrasion on each other.

I personally stack plastic covered NTR 10oz bars because i am fussy about appearances and this 10oz product is always consistently shiney. Also the flat shape also allows them to just sit on top of each other very neatly :)

[​IMG]

Also Scottsdale has a 10oz bar that have an indented lip on its side that allows easy stacking which is a great idea imo.

[​IMG]

18. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm. Guess I'm weird then. I don't like my bars too perfect.

Though I have to admit that most people would prefer buying a perfectly wrapped bar like a metalor kg bar compared to a PM kilo bar. No offence!

19. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Also i gotta give credit to Perth mint with its decision to put plastic coin protectors on each individual bullion coin they ship.

Its a Bloody great idea as the other world mint coins are sold individually with zero protection or in a tube which only protects 20 or 25 stacked naked on each other. I hold my silver for a long time so protection against tarnishing from exposure weighs heavily on my purchasing decisions.

Hence I personally only stack Perth mint coins because of the hard plastic cover that comes on each individual coin.

Bron if your employer provided a bullion bar product that is also protected in such a way i would definetly buy and stack them!

[​IMG]

20. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

Hmmm, I have a number of PAMP that are marked from transit scratches. Also have mint NTR in sealed plastic that show some marks on the raised edges.
    I guess one is not going to avoid a minimum of marks - even the process of cooling from the mould is possibly going to make a mark or two.