Dragon Phoenix Tri-Metal #1 and #2

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, Apr 7, 2016.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes we did few Color and prototype all fail. This is the better one.

Will release for pre sell to all Ss members with lower price than webpage.

Pm me if keen. Eta one month plus

2. andrewlee10

This is prototype/specimen of the medal. #2. Photo by smartphone by Mints staff so physical medal will be better.

[​IMG]

#1 and #2 photo side by side

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. numistacker

numistacker Member

Two Dragon and Phoenix No1 / verion No 5 silver antique back from grading at NGC

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are the first two graded by NGC and both achieved PF69 ANTIQUE

There were 69 of these medals minted and some were retained by the mint. This is one very rare non-fiat coin.

4. perfulator

perfulator Member

Congrats with great antique grading. Seems NGC finally like antiques :)

5. andrewlee10

Finally Someone grade the antique version

6. perfulator

perfulator Member

7. andrewlee10

Listed on chinesemedals.com for pre sell now.

8. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Seems like there is variant of the red enameled trimetallic dragon and phoenix medal.
    This was reported in the CC forum: https://forum.coincompendium.com/index.php?topic=5334.msg23852;topicseen#msg23852
    I abstracted the photos from same site.

Specs:

??Year

Version XXXX Unknown yet

Obverse (Dragon and Phoenix): Antiqued Copper with silver dragon ball as middle piece and (translucent) red enamel coating of the field.
    Reverse (Koi): Antiqued Brass
    45mm diameter
    Planned mintage: ???; Actual Mintage: ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I'd like some of the other trimetals, just not crazy about the prices. lol

10. andrewlee10

This is the upgraded full anemeled red variant out of the 299 mintage which available locally. estimate mintage 90 to 120. The enamel red around 200 to 170. Thus the total mintage for 2 variants is 299. Same Coa for both variants.

This also not available for the appointed China dealer lavender too.

This is on sell few months ago. 20% to 25 % of the 90 or 120 has leaked to overseas.

11. perfulator

perfulator Member

In my opinion this is the nicest version of the d&p medals. The deep red color fits perfectly and a huge upgrade from the first colored one.

12. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Hmm... tat means this would eventually command higher price when more collectors discovered this?

13. andrewlee10

In condition that you can find in the market. Noone offer in ebay till now.

14. andrewlee10

https://forum.coincompendium.com/index.php?topic=4832.msg23918;topicseen#msg23918

A lot confusion of lack of knowledge and information on CCF of this series 1 dragon and phoenix of the varieties.

I am using numistacker photo for giving the details information:-

#1 Copper/Silver on dragon ball insert with Brass Koi Reverse (299 actual minted). Planned mintage 299
    #2 Red/brass/silver dragon ball with Brass Koi Reverse Antiqued (estimate 179-209 minted). Planned mintage 299
    #3 Silver (30g)/Copper dragon ball obverse with brass reverse koi fish(estimated actual 100 minted)
    #4 Brass/Copper dragon ball obverse with Silver koi fish (30g) reverse (estimated actual 99 minted)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#5 antique 20 g silver/copper dragon ball insert with brass koi reverse antique (69 minted. 30 pcs keep by mints as gift to distributor, VIP customer and staff) as photo below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 Antiqued Copper with silver dragon ball translucent red enamel coating with brass koi antique reserve as discussed recently which mainly available for China market. (estimate 90-120 actual minted). planned mintage 299.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So total 6 varieties available to public.

#1. planned mintage 299 (actual fully minted)
    #2 & 6 planned mintage 299 with share same coa (actual fully minted with 2 varieties #2 actual mint more than #6 as mentioned above)
    #3 & 4 planned mintage 199 with share same coa (actual fully minted with 2 varieties min equally)
    #5 planned mintage 69 (fully minted)

Please noted that there were trial/specimen coins are minted which like the mandarin duck and swan #2 as showed in SS. This is same happening for dragon and phoenix.

Generally, Nanjing Mint will mint 1-5 pcs trial/specimen coins before mass minting. They will do few varieties and select one of the best specimen coins among the few varieties for mass minting for selling. The specimen coins are rarely seem in the market since the quantity is so rare. As you know which I am collector and seller so I did collect specimen coins. Take note specimen coins quality is not good and always grade very low and even not eligible for grading due to lack of formal document from the mint.

Shanghai New century Mints will release and sell the specimen coins to sponsor/distributor and in turn they will sell in market or internal circle.

I hope this information helpful.

15. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I have put down all information I can glean from postings into the attached table. I believe that some of the entries may need correction or clarification. You can add on to the table directly or describe what you want added or amended. I will update and eventually produce a final table when all the data is deemed accurate.

Having this information in the form of a table makes it much simpler to understand the composition of the many versions of the medal.

[​IMG]

16. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Good for NGC because the tide was beginning to swing towards PCGS for equitable grading of non-proof silver and gold MCC.

This is especially important as with the continuing white spotting problem of proof silver coins it is possible that antiqued silver coins and medals may become the collector form of silver coins/medals. Just a thought.

17. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Dunno about the changing tide. I just like NGC holders more than PCGS. I think they also offer bigger holders and more services. Additionally EU center is in Germany, whereas PCGS is in France. Didn't order smth from a France, but I would say German services are better and more reliable. One of the only few packages I never received was sent from France.

About proof and antiqued I think you are right. Some time ago I opened some coins that I have stored for some time. Some proof coins seems to get milkspots. Even though I like proof stuff I'm very disappointed and it's one of the reasons that I'm thinking to start collecting gold or other less "shiny" silver stuff.

18. andrewlee10

#2 estimate mintage 209-179.

Do you have the photo of #7 ?

You are good detective. :eek::p

19. andrewlee10

Chinese Traditional Culture Series Tri-metalic #2 Swan& Mandarin Duck

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...-series-tri-metalic-2-swan-mandarin-duck.html

#1 minted 299 fully. With mint 10 pcs for sell and keep. ALL resellers at China estimate left 65 Pcs. Resellers at overseas left 20 pcs. Estimate Total available for sell from resellers to market 85 pcs 28% of 299 mintage.

Estimate distribution of the collectors of #1 excluding those yet to sell (85 pcs) 37% 80 pcs overseas and 63% 134 pcs china.

#2 Strike in 2 bathes of production. batch 1 around 18 pcs. batch 2 around 220 pcs. Total 238 pcs will mint. It is very tough to get Nanjing mint to mint the balance of 61 pcs to achieve the full mintage due to min production quantity requirement. However, I will say, "never say never LOL miracle can happen in china all times". However the cost will be much higher due to start up the production line to mint 61 pcs which is not make sense except the selling price go much higher.

I will get few pcs for the first batch within next week. As understand the color tone of the 1 batch with be slight difference with 2 batch.

Stock allocation of #2:-

Batch 1 10 pcs overseas resellers and 8 pcs china (might given to overseas resellers if they are able to sell more)
    Batch 2 70 pcs overseas resellers and 150 pcs china (20 -30 pcs might allocate to overseas resellers depend on demand)

Pre sell status of #2 :-
    Batch 1 3 pcs sold to overseas. Resellers will keep 4 pcs for collection and resell in future. 3 pcs to be deciding.
    Batch 1 8 pcs in china yet to sell to anyone.

Batch 2 60 pcs sold overseas. 10 pcs as stock.
    Batch 2 of china yet to obtain update.

Hopefully this information help for some collectors in decision making and record.

#3 and 4 specimen done BUT yet to public release the photo and production schedule to discuss. Mints are too busy minting circulating coins.

20. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I don't have a photo yet but will post one once I get back the medal and make the metal combination I have written is correct!