Dragon Bullion or Proof?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by ausau, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ausau

ausau Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi,
    Just wondering if its worth getting the proof version of the 1 oz gold dragon or would it be better to get the bullion version?
    Looking to hold for a few years at least and was wondering which would be the best to re-sell?

Thanks,
    Blake.

On a side note I know that when I buy coins through the link on here from the Perth Mint it helps out SS, seeing as we are buying a shizen load of bullion on the 1st of September, will those sales help out SS as well?

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

bullion atw ftw

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Nope - bullion sales from the Perth Mint are from perthmintbullion.com, a separate website. Only numismatic purchases from perthmint.com.au help the site out (if bought via a click from here).

I'm torn between getting a proof 1oz gold dragon or not. I don't think it would have the same rate of return as a bullion 1oz - they'll probably retail for $2600 AUD - but I don't remember the last time (if ever) that I saw a Series I gold 1oz proof for sale.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I will be getting Bullion Gold/Silver plus a collection of 1oz Silver Proofs. Though the proofs are going to be hard to get. I am hoping to get about 3-4 of them if possible through contacts. Probably only 1 set of coloured and gilded though.

5. goldpelican

I wonder if they'll limit purchases through the mint website to existing customers for the proofs...

6. null

null Member

Same as GP. Also weighing up whether to get the 1oz gold proof to go along with the 1/4oz proof I picked up a few months ago when I first started in PM. It didn't have a COA, just a green box, but was from KJC so I am sure it was trustworthy.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1194_small-dragon.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

I thought it was a bit pricey then over spot, but bit the bullet (buy now cry later). Turned out to be good choice (I hope). Can't find any pricing on this at all. Only APMEX selling at $1,495!!! Just insane.

7. goldpelican

Yep, that's a proof!

8. ausau

ausau Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi,
    I reckon that price is right on basing it on rabbit prices on the PM site depending on what gold does!
    I am heading along the same lines as you Austacker, will wait for the ANDA release of the coloured version and bulk up on those.
    Are the silver and gold proofs released on the 1st or 6th?

Last time GP and CK came to Perth silver was $31 on Monday and $37 when they arrived on Saturday, now look at silver and also gold! I am not suggesting anything, cough, cough, manipulaters!

Blake.

9. an9ie

an9ie New Member

I was wondering about this too, gold bullion vs. gold proof. If you look at the lunar prices on

http://www.peterstrich.com.au/oz_coins/lunar_year/lunar_year.htm

uncirculated/bullion gold coin prices are POR while gold proofs have a fixed price, and apart from the Dragon proof, the series 1 proof prices are similar to the series II proofs (and not very exciting). And this is despite the proofs' "extremely limited mintage" numbers.

Is this just supply and demand talking? Do people get more excited about plain old gold bullion rather than prettier proofs?

10. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

$3000-3100 for the proof is pretty steep but im a bit of a newbie so not sure really. Is it worth an extra $1000+ for proof?

11. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

IMHO no and still not sold out