Down trend finish?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1ozTrOy, May 20, 2013.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hello!

I'm regular follower of some mister who writes his economical commentaries for one of our newspapers Saturdays' additions (since he is not writing in English I'm not pasting any link here). He is not PhD or anything but I found his comments (articles) very informative and "up to the point".

He has written for several times that USA wants to increase inflation for few % to avoid Japanese "death trap" (2 decades of 0 GDP growth). The current inflation is still very low (as far as I know - around 1%).

Also IMF (called due to rise of childrens birth mortality as Infant Mortality Fund) admitted that "hard austerity" policy (for European countries) was wrong.

I've read that US is recovering, but EU is far from recovering. "Problematic" countries all slowing down the recovering of all EU, unemployment (especially among young people) is very high and increasing. (Radical) right wing parties are rising in some countries.

Etc., etc.

And (financial) probably new balloon is already beginning to start growing too fast...

2. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Well now it just closed at $21.61 USD.

3. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

If this keeps going I might have to break out my red down down hand

4. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

More downtrend imo

5. AGmagic

AGmagic New Member

It'll hit the teens and go sideways for 25 years

6. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:

7. DanielM

First off I want some I what your smoking, secondly I'd actually like for this to happen but I don't see it being possible

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why would you want silver to go sideways for the next 25years?!!!

9. DanielM

Because ive just about hit my mid 20's so end game for me is a long way away, I'd say I'd be happier with more like around 10-15 years of sideway action

10. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

I would rather my investment peak asap so I can exit and move on to another

11. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Bit silly of you joining a silver forum then if you believe this.

12. DanielM

Not really

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok explain this thinking to me

If you want something to be the same price in 15 years as it is now, why would you buy it now ?
    Why not put you money into something that will increase in the next 15 years - or even just in the bank and earn interest - and then buy more silver in 15 years time at the same price ?

14. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lol this so classic..l I want it to go down to next to nothing until I "back the truck up" and then " to da moon" ... Man this is so overdone and dumb it's not funnny!

15. DanielM

Because im not in this for investment purposes, I'm happy collecting all kinds of silver. the cheaper spot price is, the better. I'm not the guy who wants a generic 100oz bar for a doorstop or 5 tubes of ASEs. I want a little of everything and im happy that it preserves a little of its value rather than pissing it away on booze or the pokies

16. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

Same here Greg. :)

17. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

1) Because what some1 wants, and what some1 claims will happen, are both 1 voice on the silver market. The price is made by more.
    2) Because the amount ounces silver now is sure.The amount ounces then is not.
    3) For someone with a time horizon beyond 15 years, thus with many fiat to be swapped to ounces silver, no selling during it, I see sideways as making that job much easier. No risk to buy in temporary uptrends. No need to try to target bottoms. Buy silver anytime you want.
    4) People that everytime shift their money towards the 'most promising' on the moment, are exactly the cause of the price fluctuations. Using then price fluctuations as an argument to do the same, is drawing circles for others to run errands in. People that visit markets for the customers instead of the product have that in common with pocket thieves.

18. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm not long into silver/gold stacking, etc. and can say without same that I'm pretty much green.

However, regarding future trends and prophecies I think the following is true:
    - planning is guessing.
    - no one knows what will happen in next 10 or 15 years. The more years you add, the less you "see". There are some people that predicted some things, made better decisions, but generally nothing is 100% sure. I can save my money for pension, but what will this help me if I got hit by car tomorrow and die? There were some economists that predicted some things, but there is no one who has always been right. There was one French (I think) economist (I think) who said that thing on stock exchange market can be predicted as some "black swans" (space shuttle crash, etc). He encrypted some of his prediction for few stocks to be released on some date, but so far I think he didn't reveal anything. Even if he has predicted everything correctly, could he predicted meteor shower in Russia this day, etc.

So, don't worry too much. ;)

19. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

"However, regarding future trends and prophecies I think the following is true:
    - planning is guessing.
    - no one knows what will happen in next 10 or 15 years. The more years you add, the less you "see". "

Morning,

Very true. Although nowhere near a perfect indicator, but the best we have is to look at is a similar time frame in the past - basically you are hopefully looking at current trend.

So, if that worked for the present time ---- and I am NOT suggesting it will, but, it might.

Then look back 15 years and extrapolate.

Now, unfortunately, this time in history is very different and I seriously doubt if one can take a lot about the last 15 and project it forward with much hope.

But, you probably can second guess some things with some hope of success.

Things like - commodities - will we use less or more food in 15 years time?

Ditto

Fe, Cu, coal, fuel, fresh water, and so on.

Well, unless the majority of the global population is wiped out before then, the answer is pretty obvious.

Now if you look at what the projected usage/demand of those pretty certain commodities is - eg. Food - not only more mouths to feed but in an upwardly mobile society - they actually consume far more food per head and a much higher energy cost food - then you get one thing - assuming resource restriction - which we have already -------

It means one thing -------- huge demand, stressed supply = rising cost.

Rising cost = INFLATION.

And, inflation to gold = North. Probably ditto silver.

Now, there can be truckloads of variables on the path forward - eg. Economic collapse, currency collapse, confiscation of metal, return to silver coinage - and don't think that can't happen - it has already in times of crisis - and what gun do you reach for when in the poo? - the one you used before and you know worked in the past.

Either way, the next 15 is going to be at least as big as the last 15, but probably wilder.

Now, would you rather have a wheelbarrow of Yankee dollars, oz dollars, eft's, mortgage papers, houses (easily property taxed), shares, gold or silver?

To me, it is pretty simple, and basically I can't think of much more

You need a roof.
    You need food, water and warmth.
    Transport
    Currency to buy/trade things that you need.

Let's face facts, the world is in economic crap, big time - are we being informed? No, we are not.

Why?
    A. Because in reality, no one knows fully what is happening and for sure no one knows how to fix this and absolutely no one knows how this will end.
    B. if powers did know what was going to happen, would they tell us? No - just like they didn't tell Greek Cypriots they were going to take their money - until they closed the banks on Friday and - the end.

So, if you are going to hold some gold or silver - when do you do it?

Wait until things look grim? Whoops, too late - that's like phoning the insurance company when you see the brushfire coming over the hill.

Nope, you have to get your insurance in place early. And if there is opportunity cost involved or the price descends after you buy it - so be it.

I have said before, would a Greek Cypriot be grossly unhappy to have taken 250k Euro out of the bank and paid $1600 per oz for gold before losing their bank deposit - or would they be breathing a sigh of relief that they bought the gold?

The answer is in your face and obvious.

This is a time in history we will all remember.

Have a great day all

Gazza

20. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

I don't care how my buy/sell actions effect others. Not my concern. I simply try to buy low, sell high, and outpace inflation...outpace the stock market.

I'll never sell for a loss, and I'll keep lowering my bottom line. But, I'll definitely sell...when I deem appropriate, and you'll go to the grave with a coffin full of silver.

Sounds like you got burned at mid $40's. Should have done your homework.