Does anyone else hate coloured coins?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Topherclaus, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does anyone else hate coloured coins?

Passionately..

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hey golightly, go lightly. LOL. Yeah, I think you'll run the gamu of those who love, those who hate, and those who are okay witht them, and those who shrug their shoulders, and go, 'hmmm, to each his own.'

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There are coins that are colored at the mint (note: the U.S. Mint has never offered colored coins) and then there are after market color processes applied to new bullion coins. Here's one cool example....

[​IMG]

4. Golden

Golden Member

I like colored lunars 2, others are terrible.

5. Dutch Silver Bullion Collector

Dutch Silver Bullion Collector Member

I like colored coins very much, but the last development of the 2014, 2015 and 2016 colored maple leaf, kookaburra and silver eagles are a very bad, everything is put on a coin and sold for twice the price or more; look the coin above why should you buy a maple leaf with a stupid skull on it for threetimes the bullion price, just retarded that people buy these

6. mmissinglink

Based on what you've written, I think you are making the same mistakes many stackers do. Many stackers are clueless about added value and conflate their disliking of a design with thinking that it should have no added value simply because they dislike it. Additionally, many stackers confuse aesthetic appeal with the value of the silver content alone. The two are totally different values.

So, for example, if you could buy that flaming skull Maple Leaf coin for the same price as you'd pay for a single bu Maple Leaf that would not change the design, would it? The design is a completely separate value from the value of the silver content. Either you like the design or not. Whether you want to pay X% over spot or Y% over spot is irrelevant in terms of whether you like the design.

Another example: I make no secret about the fact that I think the quality of the design of the Perth Mint's gods of olympus coins is total and utter crap. But I don't conflate that with claiming that the initial release price is a poor value or is "too much". Clearly it isn't based on sales. But that has nothing to do with whether or not the design appeals to me. And it's a completely separate issue that I may not personally want to pay the going price regardless if that going price is a good value. Even if the going price were a great value, I would not spend my money to buy a g.o.o. coin.....but that doesn't mean the coin is too expensive....to the contrary actually. If it's a great value then it is not too expensive. And yet, that won't influence m decision on whether to buy it or not because I value other things beside whether or not a coin is a good monetary value right now.

Many stackers don't use their brain too well in regards to what I pointed out above, unfortunately. They need to stop confusing entirely different values. But this advice usually falls on deaf ears because these stackers tend to also be arrogant.

Coins that have added color application and designs on them don't get that way magically all by themselves. There are design and manufacturing costs that go into those applications of color. These are added value costs. To expect that these costs should be free to you when they cost the producer and dealer extra....is frankly an absurd notion. But it's a notion many stackers hold, bizarrely.

Now it's entirely possible to really like a color design very much and at the same time not want to pay the going price....but that doesn't mean the design isn't appealing to you or that there isn't added value because of that application of color. No, it simply means you are not wanting to pay the current going price....nothing wrong with that as long as you don't confuse that with something else.

The same exact thing could be said for other added value aspects of certain coins such as those that are high relief as one of many examples. The same stackers that conflate one value for another and who hate color coins are often the same one's who don't take into consideration the added cost that goes into high relief designs. These stackers ridiculously compare the weight and purity of the silver content of a flat disc with no added value to that in a high relief coin with added value.

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Let's face there are some beautiful colored coins and some fugly ones. But at the end of the day, it's all in the eye of beholder. I mean, someone bought that hideous panda that Gatito posted, right? It's hideous to me, but beautiful to someone else. Who am I to judge? I just buy what I like, and what I hope others will like if I go to sell.

8. mmissinglink

Yes, bingo! Either the colored coin in question is something that appeals to us aesthetically or it's not....the added value cost of the color application is a separate matter which in itself is a separate question from the value of the precious metal content of the coin.

I learned all of this my first week of stacking but why some long time stackers haven't figured this out yet is quite astonishing.....it's truly very simple stuff.

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

This has been discussed before here on this site. Yes, some colored coins look cool and many collect them. That's cool.

However, in my books I consider any none-noble material applied to a previous highly refined and purified PM coin just a contamination, a foreign object that does not belong.

10. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

For me, not really a hater, or a lover for that matter. Only colours I do have are Southern skies set and lunar a in Dragon rectangle set and a few individual 1 oz Dragons. I have viwed many colour coins, some are atrocious and the artwork in my opinion actually devalues the face. On the other hand I find some quite to my liking. Not really sure about the guilded forms, some seem largely overpriced. At the end of the day I guess I buy what is salable and attracts a good resale, also considering the buy price, however I am also a noob, I'd rather have my gold nuggets over any coin, but that's just me.i have been told to just buy the cheapest low premium you can get, but at some point what I am looking at comes into play and along with it its aesthetic attraction. In any case do your research before you buy anything, but it's horses for courses I feel.

12. BullionBoy

BullionBoy New Member

I would never buy them. I think they are tacky. I like plain silver.

13. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So if I offered you a coloured coin at spot would you buy it?

14. BullionBoy

BullionBoy New Member

Yes I would buy it at spot and then sell it above spot so I could buy more plain ones. Don't know why but I get more pleasure owning stuff without glitz and glamour. Both sets of fingernails below are interesting but in my opinion the plain ones are classy & sexy and will stand the test of time. Same goes for coins.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/18804_nails.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/18804_nails2.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]