Do you try and educate people on stacking

Discussion in 'Silver' started by platinumpig, Jul 22, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There's a huge difference between educating people on the truth vs telling people very tall tales. The SHTF end of days scenario that far too many stackers believe in is a terrible tall tale to try to convince people will happen. Also, permabulls are the worst voice for educating people....because permabulls are are flat out delusional or blatant liars.

The moronic, dishonest, pumptard, silver-to-da-moon permabulls have and always will drive people away from stacking in the long run. No one likes to find out they've been sold an imaginary road to paradise.

Educating people ONLY works if one is rational, reasonable, and truthful about precious metals.

2. Golden

Golden Member

Why bother? No profit in it.

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

EDUCATE them ??? :|

Are you INSAAAINE ??? :mad:

Ya have to MAKE them STUPID !!! :D

And KEEP them STUPID !!! :lol:

How the HeLL would ya MAX the PROFITS if they would be EDUCATED ???

They'd REFUSE to buy high !!! :eek:

And REFUSE to sell low !!! :eek:

NO we do NOT want THAT !!! :mad:

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Like Julie, i gave up trying some years ago.

Too many funny looks!

Never gave any details on what I was actually doing about it.

OC

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No, they can be wrong as often as they like and it's their own business. You are wrong once, and you're wrong forever.

6. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Yes, I do. On YouTube. I don't talk about it much with friends or family unless they are into the same things. Otherwise, I do videos on my experiences and share them with like minded people who actively search for information. I'm being educated by folks like the people on this forum (i've learned a ton from you guys, this is one of my fav boards) and sharing that information with my own experience to newer folks (youth/adults) on youtube interested on the subject.

The more people that are educated/knowledgable, the better the purchases, less the losses, bigger the market. The bigger the market the more people that buy. The more people that buy the more that raises overall prices. The higher the prices the less likelyness of manipulation as physical demand puts pressure on paper shorts. It is in our best interest to educate people on stacking for the overall health of the niche.

The fewer people that know, the less people that think silver is money. Don't believe me? People use to ride horses, use swords, and garden, how many people can do that now? If in the future there's a collapse you would have a stockpile of metal that does nothing and means nothing to the majority of people that only a small group of people value who might not even be market makers. Ask yourself if the future is millenials and the collapse happens in their timeframe, 95% of them have never seen or touched real gold or silver. They only know minerals and coins from the games they play.

7. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I consider myself a cynic, but even I am surprised by some of the extreme cynicism in many responses.

How does anyone think the crappy fiat system changes unless people become educated and demand better monetary policy?

I often draw the matrix analogy of the red and blue pill. If someone chooses the blue pill (most do) then I don't bother them about this stuff, but if someone chooses the red pill then I find out how far down the rabbit hole they are and just try to take them a tiny bit deeper :)

Most people become quickly overwhelmed or despondent if presented with too much information at once so just steady as she goes...

8. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I still know a couple of people that bought silver in the mid $30s because I was so smart and told them how the world would end and silver would save their lives. I avoid these folks now out of embarrassment.

I think anyone with a brain knows that someday there will be a big crash of the markets. Whether it is due to excessive debt, derivatives crashing, a sovereign nation going belly up, etc.. it is going to happen. Exactly when, nobody but those causing it know for sure.

But, what if that were to happen and the PM's didn't go up? What if nobody gave a crap about the pretty metals that many of us love so much?

I went from a perma bull to a reformed perma bull and I now believe that a person should have a wide variety of things that might be helpful in a SHTF or even just a repeat of 2008. That is stored water, food, PM's, guns and ammo, medical supplies, fiat (yes fiat) etc. That is all I can do to protect myself. Having stacks of silver isn't going to be enough.

Just my opinion.

Jim

9. Old Codger

An M4 in 9mm would be nice, got all the other stuff!

OC

10. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

To help people understand me :lol: I could wear the hat - End Time Prepper - but "tooling up" here in Australia as in America (legally) is not really an option e.g. AK47/AR15/etc.

But saying that you will eventually run out of ammo plus you can't outrun a bullet.

Eventually you will be standing there naked and alone then what :/

I have a few ideas :)

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Don't forget, we will all need to stock up on boxes of silver bullets....the word going around lately is that in the next apocalypse, werewolves, not zombies, will be ruling the streets!

Kidding aside, the truth is, there need be no end of times / SHTF scenario in order to make the case that everyone should own some physical precious metals. First of all, when you sell metal to turn a profit (capital gains), generally you don't pay taxes on it like you do with many other types of investments....who doesn't like to not pay extra taxes?

Ag and Au prices tend to have an inverse relationship with the USD. A case could be made that the US dollar will eventually likely weaken and Ag and Au would be good assets to have if the USD weakened long term and significantly. Heck, the once esteemed British Pound is possibly in a long term state of weakness / decline. Is the USD impervious to weakness?

There are other financial reasons why owning precious metals is a good idea....and none of them have to do with end of times scenarios.

In my view, I think lots of people like aesthetically appealing things. It s because of this that I think there is an avenue to precious metals through pretty coins. I have never gotten any likes on FaceBook for posting pictures of blobs (generic bullion). But I actually got a couple or so likes on FB when I shared images and page links to pretty Star Trek silver coins. The point is, I see it as a worthwhile endeavor to potentially get some folks to move into buying some precious metals by inspiring some of them to gain interest in aesthetically appealing or culturally popular things like Star Trek coins or wildlife coins (as one example) with very popular endorsements (like Animal Planet). These types of coins can be like the bait or the hook.

I can not see a downside for me by inspiring people to buy precious metals coins....so long as I don't tell tall tales of silver-to-da-moon-tomorrow and other such dishonest things. I can see only potential upside for me.

12. warfield87

warfield87 New Member

I tried to briefly educate my friends and family about PM, and out of 10 people, only 1 ended up investing in silver together with me. The conclusion is, we can say whatever we want, but only the one who is rational and willing to learn will accept it. I like the term "Let fate educate them" said by one of you here XD

13. Old Codger

"First of all, when you sell metal to turn a profit (capital gains), generally you don't pay taxes on it like you do with many other types of investments"

Is that correct?

OC

14. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not in Australia - capital gains on PMs are subject to tax just like any other capital gains.

15. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Capital losses too? :)

16. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's only a handful of people on the forum that SHOULD educate people about precious metals

17. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

Thankyou :lol:

18. Golden

Golden Member

If people don't demand fair pensions, don't stop useless wars, don't remove corrupted politicians.. why would I expect that they will demand fair money?
    I just protect myself, if other people won't do their homework on money,.. I don't care. As I'm sure they don't care about me.

Besides, when paper money fails, I'm sure we will all be branded dirty speculators and hoarders of silver/gold. Why paint target on your back?

19. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I share that I stack as a hobby to friends. When they ask how I got into it or as why I bother then I give them a bit of lesson on global debt levels, why negative interest can never work the way it's meant to, and how PMs are integrally linked to worldly problems. I explain that Australia weathered the last storm far too well and that has people in a mindset that these 'financial crisis' are just trivial blips you hear about on the news that matters only to traders.
    I have tried to get my family interested but even my partner just sort of glazes over when I get to talking about silver. I've kind of given up there but friends with a brain take notice.

20. millededge

millededge Active Member

A lesson in the helpful altruistic stacker was the example of one of our own, John Christian, if I recall, who benevolently told all here at the tip of the exponent that he was out, as a public service.

Did it win him any favours? Maybe off the record but from what was written here, you wouldn't readily think it. His accurate call was drowned in the folly of wishful thinkers.