Do you remember the old days...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Greenman, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Byron

Byron Guest

Agree 100% with Spanner. Things started to go downhill fast in the mid 90s.

To have enjoyed the good old days imo someone would have to have been born before the mid-late 70s. Even someone born in the mid-70s would have been a child in the 80s not an adult.

Imo the luckiest people where the ones that entered the workforce in 1950 and worked through to 1980.

Although i only experienced the 80s the last good decade, there were bad times as well.

Many people including my parents lost their family home in the late 80s recession because of the sky high interest rates (the recession Keating told us we had to have :rolleyes:).

But it was a different feeling back then and generally people were friendlier and less self centred.

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

The good old days
    when there was no speed cameras
    There was no random breath testing
    There was no red light cameras
    there was no cameras in the streets
    when there was no mobile phones or computers
    when if you were an idiot you got a good touch up & learned your lesson Whether it was from your peers or the cops
    when there was plenty of fish in the rivers & ocean
    There was wildlife everywhere
    When kids could have rifles & you bought ammunition at the corner store or the paper shop
    when there was no fishing licences
    when there was no aids
    When fun didnt involve something electronic
    wish i was old enough to remember those things :p:

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The good old days - when there weren't so many people!

4. JulieW

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph7oZnBH05s[/youtube]

and later on

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ[/youtube]

5. JulieW

and one more for the fifties kids

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GielMXWQlbw[/youtube]

6. Argent47

Argent47 Member

Being in my mid 20's and reading this thread makes me kind of sad having not been alive a couple of decades earlier.

A nice quote:

source: http://www.swaraj.org/paradoxdalai.htm

7. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hello!

Hopefully this topic is not reserved for Australians only since only (mainly) Australian are posting.

As some was mentioned, people (most often) always say that past was better. The world is spinning around with faster and faster speed. What was one fast is now slow. As Bob Dylan sings "you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, for the time they a changing...).

As my ex boss said: life mainly consists of disappointments. We were younger, we didn't care for some things, we believe that world is not black hole, etc.

The best thing is to say hakuna matata and try not to worry too much.

This is my cup. Maybe you will find it interesting since it's coming from Central/Southern/Eastern Europe (for tiny country as ours it really doesn't matter where it belongs).

I've also noticed / got felling than most of you are at least few years older than me.

So...

around '90 was time:

When I was most free in probably whole of my life. Spent all days outside, on rollerskates, bike, etc.
    When I liked driving bicycle.
    When kids played outside not hanging in front of monitors.
    When I had huge nightmares when watching "scary" movies (X Files, It (Clown), etc.).
    When I didn't like Germans and Italians because they invaded our country during WW2.
    When we were meeting with friends/neighbours so that we imitate wolfs/train. We went outside and just yell "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"... Young wolfs.
    When I spent more time in DOS than Windows.
    When I probably couldn't write but could write commands into DOS, which I knew by heart.
    When The Lost Vikings was the best game ever.
    When we have to ran to shelters (cellars) when alarm went off for Yugoslavian fight plane were flying over our country.
    When best thing for me was to go watching "Yugoslavian" soldiers on train stations in nearby town and army barracks in our city. They all looked very sad.
    When my favourite book was one about our "Independence day" (war).
    When we have our own currency.
    When ice cream was less than 100 SIT (Slovenian Tolar). It's now 1. (1 is 239,640 of ex currency). So ice cream went up for at least 2,4 if not more.
    When I have (wrongfully) accused of some things. When I looked back I think this affected my life almost more than anything else. One of rare things that really pisses me off is people accusing me for things I didn't done.
    When my grandma took me to Ivan Kramberger's speeches (presidential candidate; he was well known for charity). He brought a little monkey with him. He pointed his finger towards block of flats and yelled "looked those stealing army "staff", communist thiefs, etc.". I fall asleep. Few weeks/months after the speech in our "city" he was shot at another speech. The official explanation is that he was shot by some drunk guy because he couldn't sleep. Theories go that he was assassinated (he had plenty of enemies)... In one of the recent articles he was described as people "tribune" (latin word; look Julius Caesar - also assassinated...)
    When I've learnt fist English words (tiger, television).
    When I couldn't pronounce letter "k" and was saying "t".
    When my ex schoolmate wasn't Playboy bunny.
    When one of my favorite movie was Thrashin' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092085/?ref_=sr_1)]skate or die :p.
    When we could bought (despite being kids) ice cream with rum.

etc.:)

8. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Faarck - it was $30 in my old days - no idea what gold was then, but some classmates were paid $500 a week to work in uranium mines in the school holidays (I thought not a great idea). Hopefully medical marijuana will be on PBS if there's still a healthcare system by then.

9. Rad Dood

Rad Dood Member

Used ter eat a handful o cold gravel. Lived in a shoebox in middle t road..etc etc.. C'mon you lot.. These are fantastic times... I remember when a basic computer took up the entire basement of the blue mountains municipal council.i now hold 100 times more computing power in the palm of my hand..lets not forget how technology has advanced our lives..

10. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

In some ways it has, in others it hasn't. Life is not all about technology.

That's the whole point!

11. Spode

Spode Member

Life is faster, the concept of a weekend with the family seems to be something to strive for not the norm, employment isn't guaranteed, life is different. Lots of amenities but not easier. But I remember seeing an article from 1890 something, and in it a Professor was complaining about life being too fast for people to handle. That was over a hundred years ago!

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates, (when I was just a lad.)

OC

13. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When cars had no rear seat belts or child locks.

Dad often drove us kids home after having more than a few beers. Around each corner we'd all slide across the vinyl seats of the Austin and squash the person closest to the door.

When a mars bar cost 35c. Phone calls were too expensive. And a $1 note meant something.

We didn't wear safety helmets when riding bikes. As long as we were home before dark no one cared or worried where we were.

14. JulieW

Now that bit about sliding across the backseat brings back memories.

15. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

Seems like the "good old days" sort of suck...where drunk driving was "cool" and safety restraints were stupid. When having to mail a payment for a bill took 4 days to get there, and when you'd have to wait until the next day to find out the score of a baseball game.

The "good old days" will always be treasured...because it is one person's youth. Youth is always treasured, and therefore, our memories of $.35 candy bars (when we made $12,000 a year) are therefore cherished.

Largely, technology and luxury items are a good thing. Airbags in cars save lives. Drunk driving is bad. Leaving your children running around town until the street lines came on sometimes resulted in kidnapping. Yes, our independence is important, and sometimes children nowadays aren't given the opportunities to figure things out on their own, but not wearing a bicycle helmet and cracking your skull open isn't reminiscent of "good old days."

16. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wasn't stating it was cool. Rather it was what it was.

Positives were we'd build cubby houses in the bush, or go swim in the lake rather than playing Wii / X Box games all day.

My version of what you call "running around town" was playing in the bush, swimming, or fishing. I can't recall even one kidnapping in my area.

The only biking accident I remember was when a friend's front wheel came off down a steep hill. His face took most of the impact, and no open-faced helmet would have stopped that. Broken nose, and lots of scaring.

Maybe it's my imagination but there seemed to be a lot less fat kids back then?

17. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Phone calls!

I can remember when we were in Yarrawonga, on the Murray river, back in the late'40s.

A phone call to Melbourne, about 160 miles south, was VERY expensive, and you had to book the call with the' operator'.

She took the booking and often advised that there was a 3 hour wait as the line to Melbourne was very busy.

OC

18. fosinator

fosinator Member

Yea I used to walk down to the fish and chip shop with 3 or 4 big coke bottles trade for 20c each and have a bit of time on the pinball machine.good value fun.Smarties were 1 c each at the corner store too.I rode my BMX there without fear of getting booked.for no helmet.Damn just read the post above. I must say these days I wont let my kids get on a bike without a helmet.When I finally got one it was a StackHat.Remember those? had the ad on tv with a hammer about to smash an egg but the StackHat saved it.Maybe stackers should wear these.Painted silver of course.

19. Greenman

That's for sure. The young generation today live their lives through a screen. That isn't living!

20. Greenman

...and then duck around the back of the shop grab them and cash em in again!!! Don't say you didn't!:lol: