Do you agree with this general advice for a new stacker?...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Myles & Myles, May 6, 2014.

1. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Ok I understand. Problem I have if that me before I started stacking had no idea what one was or the differeance between a round struck with .999 silver and an ASE. I've shown some of my friends and family and they didn't have a clue what they even were besides silver. Maybe its just the group of people I know are uniformed but I think if SHTF the chances of running into someone In my area that could identify silver in the first place would be difficult.

I'm not confident in the economy but I guess it just matter what extent it goes to when SHTF. If it is something on the level on the great depression then I can see silver still being an asset, but if it is all out collapse there isn't room for an extra 40lbs in my bug out bag :p

2. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

IMHO, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to start stacking.

3. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

4. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

how I did started
    bought silver as low as possible ...
    so I suggest you to do the same ...

when stack grows then you can move attention to other areas of stacking

5. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It really isn't rocket science: buy a lump of metal, let it sit there doing nothing, hope demand for it increases, then sell.

6. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

over 7 years ive been hearing "to the moon". this is our rocket science.

7. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Where are you going to "bug out" to?
    Folks I know see SHTF days as hunker down, dig in, fortify.
    Have what you need, just like the fallout shelters of the 60's, updated of course.

As for silver, word will spread very fast.
    People in the Appalachians (some would call them hillbillies, rednecks, uneducated) know "old money" (junk) is silver. They don't know the specifics, but it won't take long to learn. ASE are just an extension of that.

If you are going for an easy flip of some silver, you will need a stacker to buy your bars and rounds.
    If you are selling ASE or SML at a good price, all those people wanting to get in on the rising value of PM will be buying 'trustworthy' forms. and they understand national coinage better than ingots. You have twice as many potential buyer, IF the sheeple are buying PM.
    Today, on ebay - what forms are easiest to sell?
    I say the very first piece of non-jewelry PM bought by an individual - with casual interest - will probably be an ASE/SML.
    I understood a heck of a lot about ASE before I understood squat about rounds, generics, limited mintage, bars, cards, etc.
    In that, I think I am typical.

I have a few hundred ASE, for easy flips, or barter/buy IF SHTF.
    I'll buy a few more tubes next year.
    I like moderate or high premium for future flips to collectors if the economy is robust, and no SHTF.
    I like just a few very specific cheap rounds, some limited issue.
    As for the 69 cents over spot - why bother, you can have it. For the most part, only a stacker wants it. There aren't that many of us, in the big scheme of things.
    Now collectors, they are everywhere.

Have a plan, and stay the course.
    Lots of ways to stack, as RCS said, no 'right' or 'wrong'.

8. Phiber

Too many malooneys videos mate
    They sell a good story :)

9. Nabullion Dynamite

@BeHereNow.

I guess it is situational. Depends on what happens. If staying in my home is an option I will and am prepared with food and water storage. My bug out bag is absolute worst case, city is burning and you have to get out of the population centers. In that case Id bury my silver and run for the hills. Hopefully that never happens because I hate living in the wilderness and will probably starve to death in 3 weeks haha As far as silver is concerned it honestly matters on what happens. In the very worst of scenerios where I would need my BOB I don't see silver meaning anything. If the economy just goes really bad but there is still structure I see silver being valuable, and if everything stays good I see silver slowley rising and mantaining its value. If silver ever became that important I would imagine everyone would keep ways to detect real silver, or there would still be profesionals to do so. If silver went that high I'd just be happy Id have any, and not worry aobut the 2 extra dollar ASE premium

I sell on ebay a ton and have watched the ended sales. Both eagles and generics sell over spot. I never concider that an option because of the 10%+ in fees but they seem to fair about the same on there. People on craiglist buy generics at around spot, not sure about eagles. I'm still very new too this an only can go off my current observations. The only real advantage I see is that in 50 years a 2014 eagle may have a premium for its age over a 50 year old round. Maybe I am missing something an will learn it down the road! I have nothing against them either, have bought a hand full, they are nice!

10. Phiber

Funny how many preppers are associated with owning PMs.

11. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

Funny - ha ha?
    Funny - curious?
    Funny - interesting?
    None of the above.

It seems highly rational to me.
    Along with brass and lead, rice and beans.

12. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you have rice and beans you don't need brass or lead. IMO no one would want to go near you anyway

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you only have rice and beans, the man with lead will come and take them from you.

14. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

He'd better be wearing a gas mask then

15. BeHereNow

BeHereNow New Member

If you want to keep your rice and beans, brass and lead may be helpful.

I do not mean law abiding neighbors, I mean the thieves with the power.

In some circles, if you have no brass and lead, no one would want to associate with you.
    Just speaking of my neighbors, not others.

16. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't advise buying "junk silver". You'll be lucky to be able to sell your own "junk silver" at a reasonable price.

If you want easy liquidity, then you need assets that can easily be re-sold later: pure silver, pure gold...

Go for the metal content, if you are stacking to save and put less energy into semi-numis.

17. Nabullion Dynamite

My PM stacking had virtually nothing to do with my prepping. I've basically prepared for any realistic scenerios which I think is smart. Power outage, storms, earthquakes, things like that. I'm really not in the camp of TEOTWAWKI and hope that never happens cause I would probably die if I had to live in the forest or something haha I started buying PMs to hopefully retain my hard earned money in the future and thats all bnaking on nothing happens. Guns also seem to go along with preppers, and I've owned many guns before I started prepping.Maybe just accumilating all that stuff is what turns you into a prepper I don't know...I thought being prepared was just a good general practice, but I guess it makes you crazy these days. You stack gold and silver you are an invester, you hoard guns you are an avid gun collector.You throw in 3 months of food, water and a generator and you are a zombie apocolypse end of the world doomsdayer!

18. Myles & Myles

Myles & Myles New Member

Yes, I'm in Australia - I should've included it on my profile but I just added it now.

Ok, I see - thanks for letting me know why they're more expensive than the kangaroos. Even so, for me I guess the appeal of the AGE is its worldwide recognition, and there is a possiblity that I might be abroad for a while at some point in the future so I think it'd be good idea to have a AGE or two, as well as a couple of kangaroos, just in case the Shish kebab hits the fan while I'm abroad, and I think it's safer and better to buy one or two here first.

As for the silver eagles, upon reflection I think I will get far less of them than I originally intended, since I doubt that I'd ever take any silver out of Australia, and I'll use the money to get a higher percentage of kookaburras instead, as well as a couple of 10 oz/1 kg bars as well.

Yes, thanks for explaining that - that was interesting and I had wondered about that too.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't agree Myles & Myles. I believe the best method of stacking for new and old is to stack the most amount of metal you possibly can for the money which would mean buying silver bars and gold blobs... I.E stick to buying low premium stuff.

20. Phiber

Don't forget the bunker mate
    It's only rational