displaying capsuled rounds

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by darkclark, Sep 29, 2014.

1. darkclark

darkclark New Member

Hi
    does anybody know of display cases for silver bullion rounds. I cant seem to find anything on line, surely there must be some demand for ways to show off some of the nicer pieces. If not I might have to brush up on my carpentry skills lol

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Chickenman did here once. Havent seen here for long time.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I have seen all sorts of display boxes....some very inexpensive and not so well made, others better made and costlier. A search engine is probably a good place to start if you haven't already.

4. darkclark

darkclark New Member

ive seen cases and such but just a simple plaque type idea that you could fit them into then sit them on a base has so far alluded me. Just like the idea of being able to set out some of the nicer rounds where people can admire them (or not) lol. Might seriously look into designing my own and get somebody to make it for me.

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Like this sort of thing?

[​IMG]

There's also stands inf you can't find what you're looking for;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy some wood, a drill press and a variable tank cutter and have some fun. It is not difficult and it is a decent enough skill to have. The last one I made I just used holes cut in cardboard and covered it all with a couple of sheets of wrapping paper. It was only temporary for a coin show but they do the job.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

What the heck is a "tank cutter"? Do you mean a hole saw? You English language-using people south, east and west of the States sure butcher our fine language! :)

10. Jislizard

Apologies for misusing whatever passes as English these days, I don't get out much :D

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

im a carpenter & i didnt know what a tank cutter was obviously an english term since jis is a pommy . Nah they are only good if you want to through drill or you have to stop half way & chisel out & clean it up it would take ages to get a nice clean hole..you could use something like a kitchen door hinge blind hole bit they are called forstner bits to make a clean hole that doesnt go right through your job . ( sorry im too lazy to find the correct link ) . Google "forstner bit"

12. Jislizard

Maybe the Queen uses "Tank Cutter" which is where I picked it up from. I googled it and it does exist, probably not used by carpenters, more likely metal workers as they are used to cut water tanks and boilers and other things from the industrial revolution.

I use the variable thingy because if you are displaying different coins then you are going to need a lot of different sizes and they aren't cheap, especially if it is for a one-off job. I did a display for the 2012 Year of the Dragon coins, all the diferent bullion sizes and the specimens, high relief etc. etc. I think I used about 7 or 8 different sized holes.

Cut all the way through the board and then glue another board to the back when you are done, that way there is no way for the coins to fall all the way through and you don't need to drill half way and chisel anything out (Carpenters make things far more difficult than they have any need to!)

I cut cardboard disks to use as inserts to bring the different thickness coins flush to the surface. If you drill a finger sized hole in the backing board you can push the coins out from the back when you want to swap the display around.

I have some goat leather which I was intending to wet form to the shape of the board so the coins would be on a leather background and not a mahogany one, but then I went and bought the 9-coin set so I have to redo everything from scratch anyway.

13. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yeah i googled tank cutter to see what u were talking about it had hole saws auger bits & circle cutters. The adjustable one your talking about we call a circle cutter .

14. Jislizard

I actually ended up buying one with two cutting blades as the kilo coins can get nice and big and I wanted it to be balanced on the drill press (particularly as I had to remove the safety guard to get it to fit).

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.harborfreight.com/carbide-tip-adjustable-circle-cutter-68117.html

Biggest PITA trying to measure them so they were both the same width apart, as soon as you tighten them down they shift (They were pretty cheap, $13, not like the expensive $6 one pictured) They are also on a bit of an angle so when you cut quite deeply you end up widening the hole at the top.

I can see why people on the woodworking forum advise not to use them.